bad wireless card?

racincc84

Baseband Member
I have a HP Pavilion n3310 laptop w/ a AMD K6-2 processor, 184 mb ram and a 5 gig HD running on windows XP pro with service pack two. I purchased Linksys WPC54g wireless g PC card so i can connect to the wireless network in my area. The card worked fine for awhile, now all of a sudden it started acting up. It will find a network, say that the signal strength is excellent, try to acquire an IP address for about two seconds, then disconnect for about 5 seconds and then try to conect again. Sometimes it will connect, but if it does its rare and only stays connected for a few minutes. I have no idea what could be causing this, but i am beginning to think the wireless card is bad. Any ideas?

I know my PDA's card was acting similarly to that at one time... Sometimes just flicking the card would straghten it out... Also some problems seem to be from the AP... Might want to try and reset that.

Yep my belkin one was doin exactly the same!!! But i think mine is a bad pci slot in mypc!!

im sure my pc card slot is fine, because the computer recognizes the card just fine, there is no issue with that. I'm going to try resetting the access point and see it that does it. I would think if i had a bad PC card slot the computer wouldn;t even recognize the card.

Thats what i thought, it recognized it fine but it would make my comp freeze up and it wud not connect to any of the networks!

It's Definitely the card that's bad. I just tried it on my friend's laptop with the same results, and I tried connecting to two different AP's. I'm really surprised the card would go bad, as it's a Linksys.

Those things happen and you did just the right thing by testing it on another laptop. I have a wireless network and I use a ASUS card which is just fine. WIFI is constantly improving and in the near futur we won't need any cables of any sort, PC's will be connected to the internet like cellular phones.

Back
Top Bottom