upgrading a dell(lol) help please!!!

rai02rai

Solid State Member
Ok lets start here. Have a dell dimension 2400 2.6ghz intel celeron. i have a 52inch hdtv in my bedroom with the computer. Im trying to be able to hook my pc up to my t.v. and use the hdtv (with the dvi plug) as my display. The problem is with that garbage pc (actually can't call it too crapy, does what i need it to do, almost anyway) i have it doesn't have the agp slot to install a video card in it. im kinda on a budget but really want to use my t.v. for a display. Im up to bying a new motherboard for my pc just for the slot but can't by a whole system. in my situation what would you do and what kind of board will i need? been looking around but i can't find any that will match my computers hardware (with the celeron 2.6, pc2100 ram etc.) if you guys could help out or point me in the right direction i would apreciate it highly. i don't really play any games or anything, so not trying to pay over 2 or 3 hundred bucks on a damn video card (them things are expensive lol) maybe a buck or so on a board, a buck on the card or more but just so i can be fancy with the computer hooked up to my t.v. and something that will make it look decent too, not all crapy like with a composite cable. thanks again guys

Celeron

What socket celeron is it?
370? or 478?
if you cant find that out give me the model # of your mobo and Ill look it up for you:)

Also please post what form factor case you have, that can also decide what kind of mobo you need, mATX, fATX, or ATX . its probably a micro, but to help you I need to know

What socket celeron is it?
370? or 478?
if you cant find that out give me the model # of your mobo and Ill look it up for you

Also please post what form factor case you have, that can also decide what kind of mobo you need, mATX, fATX, or ATX . its probably a micro, but to help you I need to know

its a 478 socket celeron
im pretty sure its a matx but how much are cases, 50 bucks, not a problem to replace. I actually have a new case but got it from newegg and the power supply don't work lol. thats also a matx. was looking at motherboard and cpu combos on tigerdirect, pretty cheap for some of them with a better processor than mine but just bought this computer less than a month ago, don't wanna go and have to buy a whole new system ya know. i broke dells warrenty before i even checked to see if the damn thing would boot by inserting another 256 pc2100 and a duel layer nec burner lol.. but thanks for the quick response

I have a Few Pc's...Dell Was one of them I got the 4000 Sereis...Sold it,It was the worst thing ever..They limit u to what u can do along with integrated graphics then they try selling u a graphics card That dont fit in your pc.......My point is...Dells are very hard to upgrade,Thats why I started to build my own pc's...Always get a pc with a Graphics card...Nothing less

upgrade

K that helps alot,
Here are some recomendations by pricerange
$35-$50 price range
BIOSTAR "P4VMA-M" [url]http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-020&depa=0[/url]
60-80 price range
This is my favorite intel mATX its 71.50 on newegg but, it has a mail in rebate so its only like 32 dollars!
highest recomendation
Mach Speed "Matrix PM800DMS"http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-187-003&depa=0
these both have AGP8x, but id go with the mach speed board, they have lifteime warranty.
they also can both support your pc-2100 ram, and if your looking for a good vid card to use on a big tv, get the ATI AIW9600, that costs about 156 but it has remote and a tv tuner:)

i would've done that knowing what i know now, but i didn't. i just wanna keep the parts installed, the hell with the board. didn't wanna buy a new processor, just maybe a board with audio plus a graphics card. but which one to get. can't find none to match what parts i already have, unless im looking in the wrong places. i like the gigabyte boards, was hoping to find one of those with my specs and ram and just take my cpu out of the dell and install in new board with card to play on t.v.

hey aces wild, that first link didn't work. and will that card allow me to use t.v. as a monitor for both display and movies? and how good do you think the picture will be on the t.v. for movies "AND" the display? trying to see what you had for that first link, sounds like were getting pricey

does anyone have a big screen hdtv there using as a monitor? trying to get a feel if its gonna be worth it or not, quality wise. don't want something thats gonna be a terrible veiwing experience ya know. im sure it won't look as good as a monitor but i wanted something that'll look comparitible. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom