Help

Mitesh

BSOD
I have recently bought the following components for building my own computer:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 775
LG Multiformat DVD dual layer (LG GSA-4163B)
Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro ATX with RAID
Corsair 512Mb CL2.5 PC3200
GA-8I915P Duo Pro ATX with RAID
80Gb SATA Segate barracuda hard disk
Antec Trueblue 480w power supply
Termaltake Tsunami black- with window
I know Intel are rubbish, but I have got the P4 from India and over there they do not take back electronic goods! I think it is a good processer apart from the high heating and power consumption problems.
When I have more money, I will add a MSI GeForce 6800 GT, blue and red cathodes, a 17 inch or maybe 19 inch CRT flat monitor (because I will be using this machine prmarily for games, so CRT is preferred rather then LCD's), and maybe water cooling or a very good fan.

Just a few questions:

Is the suppplied fan with the P4 loud? Is it efficient? (I have not yet made it as I am waiting for an order to arrive containing the motherboard, memory, case and power supply. (Total £267.31 incl delievery!)

Will this 'machine' be able to take the latest games once I have got the graphics card? I was going to buy AMD 64 but I dont know why I chose the Intel route!

I want to hide the wires and make them look like the Xconnect's wires (link to image: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/ultraxconnectpsu/imageview.php?file=024.jpg) is this possible?

Also the LG writer I have bought is white and I want a black case, is the front of the writer removable for a black cover, or can I buy a cover (which automatically opens when I push the button) in black colour and if so from where?

well dont know to any of your other question but i bought a black case for mine and all my cd drives floppy etc were white....my answer... down the hardware shop for can of spraypaint :d
be sensible with it and use some common sense (cover the LEDs etc) and you end up with a fine looking black drive!

you can get new front bezels in different colours for drives if you don't fancy the spray paint / magic marker option.

You start with > I recently bought.........will it!
Ask the questions before your buy! then they're won't be any surprises. There are computer stores just for that.

That case looks very kewl, I've seen it :D

The answer to one of those questions:
Yes it will play the latest games, and at good quality settings too, once you get the new card!

I've never bought a Pentium machine in my life, so I couldn't really answer the fan question... shouldn't be too bad though I'd assume...

*KaGe*

The case

I was wondering, I am getting the Thermaltake Tsunami case (black) with side window; my friend tells me that if I decide to put cold cathodes in it, I should put a red and blue one in so that when I get the graphics card the blue and red light will split where the graphics card is placed, and until then the lights will have a very nice blend. Is this a good idea, or can anyone suggest otherwise? Can someone also show me pictures of a case with red and blue cathodes placed in it?
Apparently the brightness of the cathode depends on the company, is Akasa good or if not please tell me of other companies.
Also I am going to cable sleeve but if I get the blue and red cathodes which colour cable sleeving should I get (UV reactive)?
Is a cold cathode a UV light?
If the cathodes are blue and red, will the UV reactive cabling not come out either blue or red/ both?
Should I go for plain silver (not UV reactive)?
Which company should I go for?
I like this MORFâ„¢ psu modding kit, UVGreen ACR-MF2223, mainly because it has very good tools to remove Molex and ATX connectors making it alot easier, however I am not sure if I can buy this exact one in a differet colour. (Link: http://www.acryan.com/_morf/ACR-MF2223.shtml).
Any other mods I should do which does not involve cutting the case?

Cathodes

only some cathodes are UV you usually have to get a cathode that says UV on it, they are usually only in purple, thus the name Ultra Violet, so if you have UV reactive fans or something get a UV cathode. or as an alternative to purple, try getting some fans with UV leds in them, that way you can dictate color. as for the tsunami case, thats a honker I prefer my thermaltake soprano clear side anyday, but anyway your gonna want like three cathode tubes or alot of lighted fans to light that monster up. Oh and good luck with the heating on the Socket T p4 you'll need it. one more thing.. what kind of vid card are you gonna have in that comp till you have enough money for a 6800gt?
or are you just gonna let it sit. if you want to keep your cpu tems down, get some artic silver 5 thermal gel, it works well. very well.
P.S. Fear thy penguin!
Penguin.gif

good penguin lol!

Your Soprano is exactly the same size as the tsunami, the only differences are: your case is about 3.4Kg heavier than the tsunami, your front door is made form plastic whilst the Tsunami is fully aluminium including front door, the tsunami has its rear fan equipped with blue LED's, and there are two on the front door! :) Have a look for yourself (Soprano: http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/soprano/bws/bws.htm#logoInfo
Tsunami: http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/tsunami/bwa/bwa.htm/

You say: 'anyway your gonna want like three cathode tubes or alot of lighted fans'. Has your mind changed after reading the above (since your case and the one I have ordered are the same size)?
I can only fit three fans on the case one which comes with blue LED's. As for cathodes, are they not 30.5cm? Your case and my case both have the following dimesions: 495 x 210x 478 mm (H*W*D). Will they fit in this case?

Since I do not have any more money to spend I will be using the supplied heatsink and fan and under the heatsink where the heatsink touches the CPU is a removable plastic under which is the thermal conductor so can I still buy the artic silver 5 thermal gel nad use it on this heatsink? Of course once I have enough money I will buy water cooling.

Once I have built the computer (when the parts arrive!) I will be using a ATI Radeon 9200SE PCI 128DDR, because I bought this to use in my old Dell Dimension (565Mhz Intel Celeron, 64MB SDRAM upgraded to 320Mb, 4Mb onboard graphics, Liteon CD drive upgraded to Sony DVD (reader not writer), and motherboard with 2 memory slots, and I cant remeber exactly but 4-5 PCI slots, NO AGP) so because there is no AGP I had to buy a PCI graphics card. It never worked.
It is a interesting problem which goes like this:

When I put the card in the monitor looked like it had very high contrast, I installed all the drivers supplied and restarted. No difference. I tried adjusting the refresh rate contrast, brightness, colour (gamma etc) and every other thing imaginable but I cannot explain it it was just in high contrast. I still think that it is because of the motherboard but I do not know.
I phoned my 20 year old cousin who has now moved to America and has got a PHD in one of the computing fields. I followed his every instruction but even he could not figure it out. Then I tried phoning Dell, they said EXACTLY the same thing as my cousin but I thought it doesnt matter I will try it again', but it did not work, and phoning them costs £1+ a minute and I was on the phone for about 15-30minutes!!!!!!! I tried it again once or twice but then suddenly when I try putting the card in, the main dell screen at startup comes (in high contrast) then when it boots into Windows XP the screen becomes black, but I can tell it is still loading because the music you hear when XP comes to the desktop plays. A very mind baffling problem. (The Dimension used to run 98 but I got more memory and installed XP).
I am just hoping it will work on the system I am going to build.

You forgot to answer some of the questions:
my friend tells me that if I decide to put cold cathodes in it, I should put a red and blue one in so that when I get the graphics card the blue and red light will split where the graphics card is placed, and until then the lights will have a very nice blend. Is this a good idea, or can anyone suggest otherwise?

Can someone also show me pictures of a case with red and blue cathodes placed in it?

Apparently the brightness of the cathode depends on the company, is Akasa good or if not please tell me of other companies.
Also I am going to cable sleeve but if I get the blue and red cathodes which colour cable sleeving should I get (UV reactive)?

Back
Top Bottom