64 bit P4!!!!

It has shown marginal to almost no improvement of capabilities over AGP 8X.
Marginal!!!

pft, perhaps that was true of the first generation PCI express cards, but not anymore...
the new 16x cards have nearly double the bus capabilities and transfer rate of even AGP 8x cards...

Double The Bandwidth - PCI Express X16 slots have peak bandwidth levels of 4.0 GB/s (up to 8.0 GB/s bi-directional), compared to 2.1 GB/s of AGP 8x
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=pciegpuso&page=1&cookie_test=1

AGP has had it's day, Long live PCI ex.

well, they are true.
But the thing is, nothing uses that much bandwidth. So there isn't any or little performance increase at the moment. Sure a year or two down the road, of course. But not yet.

PCI-E is double AGP hint the 16, AGP is 8. When SLI goes, it is split into 8 and 8, so SLI doesnt have too much of an advantage. 1 6800GT beats 2 6600GT so yea.

I think PCI-E is still primitive in its stages. People had this whole talk about RAMBUS and how it was gonna take over, but it never happened. I think there will be AGP 16X.

http://www.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/

Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology is one of a number of innovations being added to Intel's IA-32 Server/Workstation platforms in 2004. It represents a natural addition to Intel's IA-32 architecture, allowing platforms to access larger amounts of memory. Processors with Intel® EM64T will support 64-bit extended operating systems from Microsoft, Red Hat and SuSE. Processors running in legacy* mode remain fully compatible with today's existing 32-bit applications and operating systems.

it's only compatible because it is 32bit!!!

it just emulates a 64bit chip...

So far as the figures go, they are true, there quoted from technical specs originally, but you are right you'll never see theat kind of speed mormally because there are bottle necks else where in the system.

I've not actually seen a bench mark where the full speed of AGP8x was ever used properly, so quite why you'd need twice that speed!

The good thinkg PCI EX has over AGP is the ability to add video cards in pairs to double video capabilities again (4x APG 8x?)...

but again there is no current utalisation of that!

There will never be an AGP16x slot, it wouldnt malke sense to create, is anything it'll be AGP32x, and i dont know where people look at prices but PCIe cards ARE cheaper than AGP cards.
This post is supposed to be about 64bit P4, not graphics cards.

Back
Top Bottom