LAN question...

white_knight

Solid State Member
Firstly, hello everyone! :)

I have just set up a LAN between two Pcs in my room, and have been playing with file sharing and the like. I have been trying to share my dvd r/w between the two pcs but so far am having not much luck. I have got it so i can read the files on the dvd r/w from the pc that its not attached to, but when it looks for the disk its only looking for it locally. Is there a way of setting it so its sees the r/w on the other pc as a network drive and so will look innit when install something?

Im terrible at describing problems so don't be alarmed if that made no sense to you at all!

Cheers,

Ben

yes...

from the my computer windows click on tools and click map network drive...
it will then have a drive letter and not \\computer\drive share. this will let you install programs that can only be installed from a CD and not a network share.

root said:
yes...

from the my computer windows click on tools and click map network drive...
it will then have a drive letter and not \\computer\drive share. this will let you install programs that can only be installed from a CD and not a network share.

Thats magic, cheers! Im at work atm but i will try it when i get home. Thanks pal :)

i too tried setting up a lan network between my two computers and it said that it was connected but i wasnt able to do any file sharing or internet sharing. any of u guys know wat the problem is???

I did that 'map network drive' thingy, and its found the drive, but its not reading it as a DVD drive. i can access the files on the disk and install something through it, but it still says 'please insert disk', ie its not seeing it as a drive to check. Is there a simple fix to this?

yugiohstrife said:
i too tried setting up a lan network between my two computers and it said that it was connected but i wasnt able to do any file sharing or internet sharing. any of u guys know wat the problem is???

Are you using internet sharing or anything?

well i was trying to do it between those 2 computers but failed. do u know the problem?? i used a correct lan crossover wire but still didnt work.

yugiohstrife said:
well i was trying to do it between those 2 computers but failed. do u know the problem?? i used a correct lan crossover wire but still didnt work.

Are you on Windows XP? Has it asked you to create a 'network setup disk'? If its xp your on, it shoudnt be a problem, as it will (usually) detect I.P addresses and the like automaticly.

yes i am using xp and it did ask me to create a network setup disk but i thought i didnt need to make one so i didnt make it.

Back
Top Bottom