building new sytsem need advice please

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm bit scared to overclock my sytem, one as I'm not really tech savvy and two because I don't want to void my warranty, so will probably avoid that and go with the 3500+.

But I have run into a bit of a dilemma regarding the whole SLI thing, I originally chose to go SLI because it seemed a good way to go cash wise, buy a 6600gt now and get another down the road later this year when they are cheaper.But after reading a ton of reviews I started to think about cost ratio, right now up here in canada I can get the 6600gt for $230, and was planning on buying another when they went down to like $150 or so. So all in all would probably cost me about $380 or so for the two in the end.Currently i can get the MSI 6800 256 for about $400.A 6800 gt up here looks like it will run about $525 if i can find any in stock anywhere.It seems that it's really hard atm to find the 6800 series up here in the PCI E interface.O.K. so on to my dilemma......

All the benchmarks I've been reading is that basically two 6600gt's in SLI = one 6800 and two 6800's in SLI = one 6800 gt. So it seems like basically if i stepped up to the 6800 I would be getting the same performance as the 6600GT SLI duo for basically the same price, and that was if i was to wait for the 6600 gt to come down in price.If i were to buy now it would actually cost me about $60 more.

My original system is pretty much my budget altho i figure i can squeeze out and extra $100 if needed. SO this is what I'm thinking, if i were to cut out the sound card and get kingston value ram i could shave about $70 off the price and pay an extra hundred to get a 6800.This at the moment seems the most logical choice.But then I think well if I'm going to do that wouldnt i just be smarter to not even go SLI and get a regular mobo for about $100 less, still drop the soundcard and switch to kingston ram.By doing that and chipping in the extra hundred i think i could afford to go with the 6800 GT.

Its just start to look like when doing the math SLI isn't worth it, it just seems to be cheaper to get a single card of the step up.It almost seems that SLI isn't worth it til you get into the 6800 gt's or 6800 ultras... Am i right here?

Hopefully my post makes sense, just really want to do the right thing here.Any suggestions would be greatly apppreciated..

Acually, that sounds really good. By the way, do you have good speakers that would even be worth buying that soundcard that you WERE going to buy?

Well atm I have the crappiest speakers you could imagine lol, but what i didn't list was the speakers I am buying for the new system, nothing great just a logitech 5.1 system, should do me well enough for gaming. But i just phoned a buddy back home who is a certified tech and he said to not bother with a soundcard atm, the board has a 8 channel on board which he says will do me just ine for gaming.He also said that if not overclocking I may as well just go with samsung or kingston value ram and save a feew bucks their as well.

Jack ya i thought that a pair of 6600 gts was equal to a single 6800 gt, but uptil now all the 6600gt revies i had read were just comparing a single 6600gt vs a pair in SLI. I ran across this reviwe which benchmarks the 6600 gt, the 6800, and the 6800 gt. Singley and in SLI mode .

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page8.asp

As you can see according to the benchmarks from this review at least, in all the game tested it basically went 2 6600gt's equals 1 6800 and 2 6800's equal 1 6800 gt ( more or less give or take a few frames either way depending on game and resolution ) This review is what made me start to entirely rethink my whole approach to the SLI. I'm going to try andf find more reviews like this one where they compare the 3 singley and in SLI and see if I can confirm this.

I got my stuff from PCModder issue on stands now. It had a whole thing about the SLI.

Yeah I tottally believe ya Jack because i swear i had read somewhere last week about the dual 6600 gts equaling a 6800 gt. SO i poked around and i found this review a few minutes ago

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15174-1494-9-9-x

heres a little quote:

We compared two PX6600 GTs to a single GeForce 6800 GT and came away rather impressed. The dual PX6600 GTs outperformed the single 6800 GT in almost all our tests. Once overclocked, the dual PX6600 GTs widen the already significant lead by even more.

Lol so now I'm quite confused, the benchmarks from the 2 reviews i posted completly conflicted each other. I wonder if we get that magazine you stated up here in Canada, never seen it on the shelves but maybe if I go to a specialty store i might be able to snag a copy.Oh well I still have a week or two til my tax refund comes anyways, leaves me quite some time to research.

Back
Top Bottom