A Successful Overclocking... I think...

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey again guys.

I just overclocked my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ to 2.2 GHz after reading a lot of threads about it, and I just wanted to make sure I'm okay.

I have the Newcastle core (cores matter in overclocking, don't they?) and I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum have overclocked an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, and I'm assuming it was with this core as well. Am I correct? Right now, at idle, I'm getting (with the NVIDIA Monitor) a 440 MHz Memory speed and an 880 HT speed, at 32 C for the processor and a very constant 30 C for the motherboard. This seems about right, doesn't it? I want to make sure I don't damage anything.

I used the simple overclocking tool in the BIOS to do this (Overclocking it 10%). I believe I read somewhere that this is a safe setting to use with the default cooling system that case with this processor. I've also got 2 80mm fans in my computer, one on the side pulling in and one in the back pulling out.

With all of this stuff, should I be good? I really haven't tried any games yet, though I gave Tribes a shot (which was moderately improved) for a few minutes, and I believe my CPU temperature rose to about 38 C.

Thanks guys!

-Jamxx

Is that better?

Also, can you answer my question (if you know that kind of stuff).

-Jamxx

That's good temps. A wnchester is acctualy better for OC above subzero. Do you use stock HSF?

lol on the subject of "subzero" lol, what do u think i could get my winnie up to at -20 C? im gettin sum guy on another forum to build me a phase change in a month or so, and i wanna kno how high i could oc, i was hoping for atleast 2.5 ghz

Yeah, I've heard the Winchester core is better for overclocking, but I didn't get one. I learned that after I bought my processor. And what does HSF mean? I'm guessing you're talking about the stock processor cooling heat sink, and yes, I do. However, I'm thinking about getting a new one, just to be sure. Oh, by the way, when you take a heatsink off of a processor with thermal grease, what happens? Do you just put a new glob of thermal grease on top of the processor again?

Thanks for your responses and I hope this OCing goes well for me.

-Jamxx

hs = heatsink f = fan hsf = heatsink &fan
and u dun need to add much thermal grease, due to alot stays on the cpu, and sadly i lerned that ppl with - 157C temps, hav prolems gettin to 3.8 ghz ... i think alot has to do with ram and havin the ram clocks too fast, and also, the guy is having prolems gettin complete cpu coverage with the dealio... ohwell lol, ill go for 3.2 and ill be happy

Also, I was thinking of overclocking my graphics card, because I saw a setting in the BIOS for it. I know nothing about this; can someone advise me about this?

-Jamxx

EDIT: Just ran a game for about 10 minutes constantly, checking on the temperature of my CPU. It got to 44 C, and stayed at that until I quit the game. Then it fell down to 35 C in a matter of seconds.

I think this is normal, right?

Back
Top Bottom