2 xp's?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

matt_999

BSOD
when i re-installed xp, it added another xp, now i have 2. when i turn my laptop on i have to choose which windows xp i want? any ideas how this can be solved? cud it be that 1 has sp1 and the other sp2?

regards
matt

No, because SP1 and SP2 are just updates. You must have messed up with installation... or something O.O. I don't know how you wouldn't have noticed though. My suggestion is to just KillDisk your computer and then reinstall windows. Don't forget to back up your stuff though, that is a mistake I just thought of today...

Member,
~ Spdstr

Member,
~ Spdstr

I agree with Spdstr. Use the Windows partitioning agent or somethign else to clean out ur entire hard drive and then reinstall from scratch.

ive figured it out, all i had to do was right click my computer> advanced>startup and recovery and delete the name of the OS that i didnt want on there!

matt

i can not belive nobody knows the answer lol, he has to xp'S on because he must have 4matted the other space that he has left so he did not delete the other XP he just had enought disk space for another lol.

had the same problem.tried installing without rebooting 1st.

when u reboot with the apropiate cd it will always ask to delete the partition.

I have also seen this occur. Even though you deleted it from the boot.ini and you deleted the right one so it found the approiate path to boot. You might still want to make sure there isnt another partition on the drive with XP just sitting and wasting space. This can be done with XP cd or any partitioning software that allows you to view disk partitions.

With XP cd:
Insert CD
Restart Computer
Press any key to boot from cd
On windows setup screen hit enter to install windows
Then it should display the partitions to install windows. If you have more than one there it is probally because there are still 2 versions of XP. Or if there is only one, I still would recommend a fresh (delete all partitions and create a new one for XP SP2) install because I dont think windows would mess up the boot.ini on a clean install of XP SP2.

Back
Top Bottom