Repair my bros laptop, need help ASAP!!!

ardy891

Daemon Poster
well my bros laptop was tampered with today and when he boots up it has a missing windows file and will not boot properley!!!! Well anyway i told him to do a repair by bootin with the xp disc and we got to the stage were we needed to choose which windows installation we need to log onto, so we chose the only one on there and all it does is come up with this: c:\windows and then nothing. i'd like to know what to do next, what shud i type, is it fixboot??

Thanx in advance

ardy89

If he can, just erase the HDD. If youerase it then just totally re-install it and you should have all the files. Also did you try and boot-up in safe mode? Can you do a system restore?

He cant get onto windows and he doesn't want to erase it coz its got important college work on it!!!

back it up if possible and then erase it and load windows and load back all his files

Hi,

What windows file does it say is missing? Maybe if you tell, we can tell you how to replace it

*KaGe*

system32\config\system

i just need to know what to do when i'm in the repair part of the xp boot up!

I thought, you'd just be able to select repair after putting the Windows disc in, but found out you'd have to use a recovery console, so typing in loads of commands would be neccesary...
I don't know if re-installing Windows using the default setting would wipe data off it you see, too...

I haven't really had to do this before I'm afraid, so sorry I couldn't be more help

I have found this site, which has useful links that might help you:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom