WinME Installation problem

daydreamer

In Runtime
I'm getting a kind of strange problem..just checkin to see if anyone has ran into this problem... when i try to install WinME it gives an error something about not having enough storage.. saying Windows ME needs "xxx" (xxx represents storage in kB) amount of storage, and that I don't have enough storage to continue the installation.

Well the weird thing is, is thats its a 60gig HDD and 128mb of RD Ram. So storage is not an issue... so I do the next step, and I try formatting the HDD just to verify, and i format with FAT not NTFS and it formats fine using all of the 60gigs and same problem saying not enough memory.. so I think maybe WinME (since i haven't installed it in forever ago) needs a partition (like NT4 used to be).. so i put a 4gig primary partition and have the rest of the HDD dumped on a extended partition. So i go try again and same problem.. not enough memory. So whats up with WinME.. I've actually tried this same thing on 2 computers.. and same problem on both of them.. and i used 2 different ME CD's.. so im kinda lost on the problem right now.. and the other computer used SD Ram so the RD Ram isn't causing it.. and they both have 40gig HDD's and above.

I also just for kicks just to make sure the HDD wasn't bad or faulty... I ran a GWSCAN on the HDD which write zeros to the whole drive whipping everything out.. and re-format it and blah blah blah.. and same problem consists again..

any help would be very apprcieated... thank you.

and I would put WinXP on these computers but.. Microsoft is picky now about pirated OS's so you have to register your Windows KEY during insatllation now you can't get a way with "devil keys" anymore. Well from what I'm seeing anyways.. i tried it already and no matter what it wants to register that damn KEY (it didn't do this before like 6 months ago) and now its something you have to do just to complete the installation. And this was installing XP Pro also.. cause i know XP Home you have to register.. but XP Pro you used to be able to get away with it.

I'm getting a kind of strange problem..just checkin to see if anyone has ran into this problem... when i try to install WinME it gives an error something about not having enough storage.. saying Windows ME

Hi - I assume you are meeting the min specs for WinME, not just HDD space but memory etc....

I also have a prob with WinME - this is in another post.
:D

nah its not a spec problem.. this is a 1.8ghz computer with 128mb RD RAM with 60gig HDD.. it ran smoothly with XP pro.. but vital viruses crashed it (this is not my computer its a friends)... i know for a fact its not the computer spec problems.

wasnt there sumtin with enabling support for large disks on nfts partitions"?else it wouldnt be recognised.i think that would be with hd over 40 or 20 gig.

it will prolly mention sumtin about that in the installation.

and is this a s-ata drive?then try pressing i believe f4 during initiALISING setup for installing a non microsoft raid program.

mite be the case this sounds all too familiar.anyway goodluck with it.

ps try a windows xp corporate key:)

well i cant even get to the part to even start the installation.. its just says not enough storage which is really weird.. then asks to restart and thats it.. i don't even get the chance to try to install it... and this happens on multiple HDD's which is weird

well on WinME it has to be FAT it cant be NTFS.. NTFS is only for computers on NT platform.

I've tried all the ways .. enabling large support, partitioning a system partition only.. etc.. no matter what i get the same error.. it doesn't make sense.

o yeah offcourse its fat only lol soz yeah thats pretty weird .damn im afraid i really dont have much experience with ME.is it a new drive ?:S

is the cd ok ? you have same prob with other os maybe?is it setup correct in the bios?

yea the cd's ok.. i have 2 WinME cd.. one came with the computer.. and one was from my work.. both of them work im sure of

bios is all correct.. that was one of the first things i checked to verfiy HDD was working correclty etc..

I'm having a strange feeling that my WinME CD is a UPGRADE edition only and not a FULL install. If thats the problem i'm going to kick myself .. i just thought of that right now.. but im almost 100% positive that i've installed ME using that CD on a bare computer a long time ago and it worked but who knows that was a while ago.

I'm going to check that when i get off work.. cause i know on the upgrade edition you can't install on a bare system

u can better get that evil upgrade thingy out of your house hehe.

naah but updating windows to other version can be quite irritating and its unecesary any way goodluck i have to get back to work :)

Back
Top Bottom