Overclocking Athlon 64 3000+, 3500+

Kage

Golden Master
Overclocking Athlon 64's, weird result

Hi,

Is what I'm reading really true?

From a few reviews I've read, since I am thinking of getting a 3500+ (winchester), I read that the 3000+ (winchester) can overclock to as much as the 3500+ , which ends up to be the same as the AMD 64 FX55 processor... about 2.6ghz...

Is this true? If so I'm going for a 3000+ (winchester) since I'll probably want to overclock it... probably on stock cooling though, but with the money I'll save, I can easily buy a new cooler! The only problem is, if I don't overclock it straight away I'll have a slower processor... but I mean the price difference is really high, for what you can get out of it...

This is weird, can anyone shed some light?

Heres proof from one review I read

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242

*KaGe*

I got a AMD 64 3000+ and it is overclocked to 2.2GHz.. I can get it pushed to 2.4GHz.. but that's a risk I'm not gonna take. Unfortunately I have socket 754.. but hey that's not a problem. It is 64-bit and gives me great performance.

So basically, those overclocks are only really if you wanted to push the card to extreme? and had adequate cooling? (esp the 3000+)

Least it settles my mind a little bit, because I was thinking for the price saving it would be worth it

At least if i get a 3500+, I'll know it'll overclock to 2.6ghz, probably even with stock cooling... and if I don't overclock, I'll have a great CPU for games anyway (overclocking could just be for later on :p)

Oh I'm confused now... 3000+, 3200+ or 3500+ decide, decide, decide...

Hmm... maybe the 3200+ would be better to get it to 2.6ghz then...

arghhh!!!!

Thanks for the help :)
*KaGe*

I have the stock fan and it is doing fine at 2.2GHz (it runs about 36-37C). Pretty damn good for the stock fan. I can get it to 2.4GHz at 39-40C).

OMG gian same here you have all the same apart form i have mine at 20c-30c and i have a 6 Copper-Heat Pipes on it

Well I kinda used my head because I didn't want to expire the warranty... if you change the stockfan you will expire the warranty. So I think you're full of it.

And to think of it, I just checked.. 34C.

get the 3200 + with an xp 90 hs and fan or the swiftech 6400 with a 80mm tornado+ fan controller, i got mine up to 2.5, and im runnin like 41C which is only like 2 C higher than when im not ocing, pretty crazy i think, i would go to 2.6 or 2.7, but i just dun wanna mess with that rite now, cuz i would have to lower fsb, which i dun wanna do, soon as i get water cooling or sumthin, mebbe phase change, ima go for 3.5 :)

and cobra, 20-30C sounds like ur messin up with voltage or sumthin

Yeah, maybe going for a 3200 would be more worthwhile... especially since it's £50 less than the 3500+, I could then buy more cooling with this, and hopefully get to 2.6ghz :D hehe... I just wouldnt want to mess that much with it to get it (don't exactly know that much about overclocking, but Im learning :) )

Aparantly Trance565, you'll be able to get to 2.6, but not 2.7... no reviews I've read allows an Athlon 64 to go that high, even with voltage changes and the like... and that is with adequate cooling... hehe, worth a try though...

With adequate cooling though, and if the temp doesn't go too high, can a overclocked CPU, last as long as an unclocked CPU? Theroretically?

Thanks for the help :)
*KaGe*

correction: With a really good fan, you can get to around 2.7ghz... its with watercooling you can get to 2.9 and above :p

Is my new setup going to allow the CPU to get to 2.6, possibly with stock cooling? I don't mind choosing either CPU, I just want one with more potential really, and any comments on my hardware I'm getting will be appreciated, like for instance better stuff at same price range which will overclock more (e.g ram) :)

Because my mind keeps wavering between components, and it's tiring me out hehe

*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom