Computers Not Seeing One Another

he has a broadband connection, so he dont dial up,

he would need an NAT client and windows xp dont have one pre-installed.

Hubs shoot packets out all ports becuase they dont know what IP addresses or MAC addresses are and it hs no sense or orginization. they are dumb devices now served mostly as repeaters.

since they dotn know what IP and MACs are they just aimlessly shoot all ports causing lots of collisions. one HUGE collision domain!!!

since switches have smaller ones and routers have very small ones.speed degradation does not happen.

he was complaining about his speed, and speed is king. routers arent very expensive.

broadband connection still dial, or at least still use a dialup manager to connect to the internet...
The point I was trying to make is that on my home network everything works fine...
It works for me, (without a router) and it should work for him/her too.
ICS in windows XP is usually more than adequate for connecting and serving the internet to clients on a home network.

the original post points to problems of file sharing and printer sharing as well, and what can I say at the end of the day I'm only trying to help.

I think you should truely exhaust all of the options before going outand buying new equipment, if the problem has nothing to do with routing and simply a network problem, then you advising that he wastes his/her money buying unecessary equipment that may not actually fi the problem.

the money you use to buy a router will pay for itself with management. lots easier and non-os dependant and IPs are managed easier. you can still use file sharing!!!!!

problemds with filesharing could result from the stupid hub!!!

it will fix it all he has to do is make sure IPs are in the same range and his workgroups are setup right.

now windows xp does not use dialup to manage broadband sicne broadband can not be dialup!!!

dialmeans phone!!! I dotn ahve a phone so i cant dial up.

its uses PPPoE and if its cable it doesnt use PPPoE!

Thank you both for taking the time to try and help. You have both been helpful.

On the broadband side, it is dial-up ( a product called iBurst { www.iburst.co.za if you interested} that can be connected by USB or Ethernet - requires username and password to access).

Root, will try what you recommended, but just as important is the subject of speed. My concern is that utilising ICS will slow my PC's down. If that is the case then the router (if it will speed connectivity up) will have to be the route to go.

First and foremost though is getting the PC's to see and share folders and files. The Broadband connection will be next.

it dotn reall "dial" its cslled PPPoE that requires authentication each time to make it more secure. It may seem liek its dialing, but no tone is heard and its just not constantly connected liek cable or other flavors of DSL are.

filesharing only requires IPs be setup correctly and workgroups setup properly,

such as, For example

wokgroup name: Kittykats

Default gateway:192.168.0.1
SubnetMask:255.255.255.0
DNS: use ones provided by ISP

PC1: IP: 192.168.0.101 name: Angel
PC2: IP: 192.168.0.111 name: Frisky

now to go setup workgroups:

right click on my computer,
go to "computer name" tab
then click change
under workgroup you should have it setup as:KittyKats

click, ok, then ok again and it will give you a welcome message or soemthing like that.

then thats should be it! a restart may be needed if they dotn see eachother right away.

try subnet 255.255.255.252 its safer against hackers .especially on infrared.

or use subnet calculator wich u can find on google.

I dotn think he'd need to mess with subnet masking.

IP and workgroups have always worked for me as long as the physical media didnt have any problems.

your rite he shouldnt mess with it if the subnet is the same(if he checked that).but else it would never work i guess.if u have a router it will usually give u a class c subnet when u have ip dynamic.but when u set it static my router for example give it a class a 255.0.0.0 subnet wich btw enables u to connect about sixteen million comps(wich is not a good thing) :D the subnet has to be the same and the best would be a range that actually allows u to only connect the comps u need.

subnet 255.255.255.252 would be 4 host adresses.

u could try a subnet calc and play around with it :)

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/sparkman/netcalc.htm

Back
Top Bottom