Mcafee VS. Norton VS. ZoneAlarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm not talking about the UK. I'm talking about whether bureaucracy uses what or not. I know what I'm talking about. My dad works with the government and has been for nearly 11 years now.

Well maybe if I were talking to your dad I'd back down and research some more evidence then!

but even the government has to abide by the law...

Can you provide any links to say otherwise, I though the links I had posted were pretty clear...

the governance laws apply in the US, they are US law, and affect UK companies to the extent that practically any company with US / UK connections is affected, this includes a lot of UK government departments. (in fact that is the effect of the opening line in the second link I posted, (did you even bother to read the links or did you post regardless sure in yourself that you were right?)

Like I said in my last post, governments choose Norton because it the best that they are able to use, whilst still complying to the law.

Norton is certainly better than Mcaffe, (the only other real commercial contender) but is by no means the best AV in the world (available to the common user...)

as I said earlier there are plenty of people who will lay testement to that.

I never said the government would get a free virus software. It would however get Norton because it is the best software out there. That's just me stating my opinion on what I think is better and useing proper evidence to back myself up. However you are bringing up irrelevance into this debate (corporate governance). You are not understanding how US law works (I study it deeply as it is connected to my political science major). Norton is the best anti-virus scanner in the world, in my opinion.

well IMHO (In my humble opinion) norton is not the best AV...

you suggest that it is the best, your evidence ebing that governments use it...
however I've prooven that you evidence is defunct by saying that the reason government HAVE o use norton is because it's the best largly supported corperate AV package...

IMHO free avg is better, and there are planty of people who have had the asme experiances as I've seen , (norton not detecting virii that are later detected by a better AV)...

however as I've said governments, (US and UK) are disallowed from using this betterAV package because it doesn't come with complete vendor support...

saying it's best because a government use it is not good evidence, since the government do not have a free choice.

saying that from personal experiance I have seen norton miss virii tht is later found by a different AV package prooves (to me at least) that norton is not the best...

I do not understand the inner intracacies of US law, and I do not know every US law...
I respect that you study US law, but as I said, if you read the sites I linked to you'd realise that the governance law Is effcetive. (in both the UK and US).
government departments do have to abide by it.
and it does limit the software choice.

I talked only about the US Government. I talked with government computer technicians and they said it would of been their own personal choice because they think it is the best. Free AVG is horrible. I've tried it. I've also tried Avast. None of the free ones are good. Norton detects viruses. I actually got a virus while using free AVG. There are plenty of people who had the same experience as me. In fact moreso then anything you claim about Norton. I'm sorry, but what you claim is simply not true. You are twisting my words and screwing with my statements, as usual.

Norton is far better then AVG or Avast, two free scanners. Governance law has nothing to do with this argument. Stop bringing in irrelevance into this discussion.

OK,
So, if we could agree, the fact that governments use Norton has nothing to do with whether it is best. as I said when I first introduced the point, the reason governments use norton is because of the law...
I've fully explained that point and provided links.
it's not about twisting your words, it's about dispelling the myth that governments use Norton because it is supposably best. they use it because they have to. (faced with a practical choice of Norton of Mcaffe I'd use Norton!)

As you just said,
some computer technitians would use norton
been their own personal choice because they think it is the best

what I claim is true.
I've seen it with my own eyes.
I have seen norton scan a machine and report clean.
then I've seen freeAVG scan a machine and report infection...

having said that I will support your claim that it does happen in reverse...
However I have personally seen this happen more times in favour of free AVG than in favour of norton benig the best AV.
(3 times for norton, 1 for AVG).

as I said earlier (do you even bother to read the posts) It's all about when updates are released, sometime norton is slower, sometimes AVG is slower.

sadly AV manufacturers are always one step behind virus writters.

without any official statistics measuring reponse time this thread is purely opinion.
(I've not been able to find any stats

Actually it does because there are plenty of other paid versions out there. Avast for example though is free for the personal user, has an option for businesses and government where they could pay for it. But they choose Norton over it. The government can easily go with a different paid virus scanner. Some? Actually try many.

What you claim is true? I tried freeAVG... a virus got through. It was cluttered horrible software that messed up my machine. I had quite a time fixing registry entries. Norton got rid of a virus freeAVG let through. NEVER AGAIN WITH CRAPPY FREEAVG. I'm sorry... but I'll never agree with you. You can disagree with me all you want.. that doesn't change the facts. Norton is better, more solid and look for viruses better. Facts are facts.

OK, look at it this way...
I use Free AVG...
in my opinion, I think it is best...
I tried Norton (as the full system work package) -and no it wasn't stolen or cracked)

I found it to be a resource hog, (what with the extended recycle bin, ghost tray helper, Internet security and a virus scanner...
I didn't get a virus (or at least not one it could detected) and I guess if Norton is best at scanning it prooved that the AVG engine is at least as good, since it had kept me virus free up to that day...

So I uninstalled norton and went back to AVG,
my personal experiance with norton is that it was very resource hungry and buggered about with far far too many things, it also left about 50 redundant registry keys that I had to remove using regclean after unistaling it.

I never caught a virus with norton instaled, I never caught a virus with AVG installed...

I have seen with my own two eyes, people uninstal norton, install AVG and scan only to find virii.
I have see it happen the other way around as well.
but as I said before I've seen it seems happen more with migration away from norton products.
I've seen a laptop with norton av on it connect to the internet (without a firewall) only to contract the sasser virus almost immediatly, (it was a mere 30 seconds before the RPC service was exploited and the shutdown restart cycle started).
and this was on the laptop of someone who was the technical director of a company that was a norton partner... (Ie they were competeant in the setting up of their machine).
When his MSDN style box of everything norton found its way to our office he offered me everytrhing symantec norton has to offer, and I politly declined.
I never thought I'd distrust a company so much that I'd turn down hundred (if not thousands) of free software.

(actually I wish I'd taken partition magic. -though my copy of Ranish partiton manager seems to be working fine so it's not too greater loss)

I tried Norton. And I tried Free AVG. Norton was the best out of the two and you aren't changing my opinion. AVG is a joke in my opinion. It is bogus software.

Norton is the joke...

I'll run with the idea that norton is the best...
I had a system prtoected by AVG, it reports not virii.
I installed and scanned with norton, it reports no virii, so AVG is at least as good as norton. (definitions database is of around the same size).

The only difference between norton and AVG that I noticed was the installation of extra downloader software (live update). massive amounts of available memory being used (noticable in the task manager).
and a huge amount of registry keys left cluttering my system after I deleted it.

I don't want to change your opinion,

Your answer to the orignial question,
Q:(which is best Mcafee VS. Norton VS. ZoneAlarm?)
A: Norton
i correct.

however I says that whilst Norton may be best of that rather limited bunch it is also the most expensive, and stil not the best AV in the world.

All points in this thread up to date (for best AV) are only opinion...
frankly there no credible links or evidence to support claims of best...
nothing short of an uninterrupted video of a virus not detected with one and then detected with another will be convincing.
as for package fotprints, I could reinstall norton and post comarative resource use figures, but I'd only be accused of doctoring them...

What we need is an impartial site with real credible stats on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom