Mcafee VS. Norton VS. ZoneAlarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I'm not perfect either. But in the regard of this discussion I happen to be on the dot. You are the one ignoring the facts. You suffer from fact denial.

the reason governments use Norton is because its a big company.

I'm in the process of completing a site audit for a company whom contracted the company I work for to perform a site audit, the have Norton rolled out accross their network. But they also have (from scans that I've performed) a lot of browser toolbar that carry trojan payloads.

The reason I know they carry payloads, when I've been to sites that have dodgy activeX controls that download these tool bars, my free AVG has told me about the dodgy activeX control, and the spyware toolbars it is attempting to download.

the problem i found with Norton is that they don't pick up Trojans so i have to use AVG FREE edition to remove them :( i would use Norton but with the backup of AVG just incase i pickup any Trojans along the way.

root said:
the reason governments use Norton is because its a big company.

I'm in the process of completing a site audit for a company whom contracted the company I work for to perform a site audit, the have Norton rolled out accross their network. But they also have (from scans that I've performed) a lot of browser toolbar that carry trojan payloads.

The reason I know they carry payloads, when I've been to sites that have dodgy activeX controls that download these tool bars, my free AVG has told me about the dodgy activeX control, and the spyware toolbars it is attempting to download.

If the government wanted they would save money and often they try to. But they have spent money on better software and better equipment. My dad's office recently upgraded computers. He told me they were about to pick dells, but then in the end went with Gateway machines I believe (of higher quality).

Norton Corporate Edition does pick up trojan horses... from what I have notice. I also have Webroot Spysweeper, and Fix-It Utilities Virus Scanner activated.

government s do often try to, but there is always legislation in place...
for instance, the cmopany that I work for is a software house, recently we have had massive influxes of work in application testing and bespoke application re-writtin, his is because government legislation says you must have vendor supported systems. (UK government anyway)...
windows 98 and NT4 support is dropped later this year meaning governmental departments will have to stop usnig it...

The same isapplide to norton, it is used because it is a big company and supoprt is documentable.
most free system work just as well but come with no warrenties

Legislation? This is the bureaucracy we are talking about, not the congress. The US government had the option in choosing what virus protection software to put on their computers and they chose Norton because that would be best to protect national security.

t's not about burocracy, it is about law and legislation. National security barely comes into it,

there is a law called corperate governance

http://www.itweek.co.uk/comment/1161414
explains about the law

http://www.pcw.co.uk/news/1141048
exlpains how it affects UK based companies and institutions that are connected to US...

http://www.corpgov.net/
will explain exactly what the corperate governance laws are...

so you see if large corperate (and government) departments choose to use unsupported software, (free software usually carries no warrenties) they are breaking a law...

Large companies have little choice than to use norton, (arguable the best AV that is paid for, -though not the best AV [imho]).

sadly lots of companies are locked into using second rate software in this way...

and how do Iknow about this law?
I've spent the past week perfoming a site audit to plan an upgrade stratagy to help stop a company breaking this law...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom