137 GB Hard Drive Barrier

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
I have a question, and, yes, I already tried a search on it but I really couldn't find anything. It could be my searching abilities, because I thought there might be something about this.

Anyways, I have a Maxtor 160 GB hard drive, and I'm having trouble with Windows recognizing it. The BIOS does, however, when I right click on "Local Disk" in "My Computer" it only shows the drive capacity of 137 GB. I already know about the "137 GB hard drive barrier" and I have looked into it. I downloaded an enabler from Maxtor's website that was supposed to fix it. However, it didn't. It's really weird how the BIOS recognizes it, but Windows doesn't. How can I get Windows to recognize it?

Thanks!

-Jamxx

Funny, this was on my mind before I came to the forum, this is what i'm suppose to be studying today.

It says 163.9 GB in the BIOS, and my drive is supposed to be 160 GB. That sounds right... But Windows only recognizes it as 137 GB.

Thanks!

-Jamxx

Without XP SP2 (service pack 2), that is the limit. If you already did install service pack 2 then you will have to go to your control panel>administrative tools>computer management>storage>disk management and there you will see the "unknown part". Activate it as a secondary dos partition and then format it. Add it up and see how much you get. The missing part will be a different drive letter which you can make D for instance if you just unplug your PC, unplug your cdrom, replug your PC, start it up change the drive letter (same place), then repeat the above and you should have,,,a,b,c hard drive and d,e,,,,,cdrom.

hehe...thats bit weird isn't it? I thought after formatting, and the way bits, and bytes work you should have less space than what you bought? lol...oh well...

*KaGe*

Okay, so that means that I will have like 2 disk drives, but it will really only be one? I'm formatting that space right now.

yay. i was taking a shower or else i would have said partition the disk. There is only one physical hard drive, but there are now two virtual drives and the MBR is on the logical/virtual C: drive.

Yeah thats a very good way of doing it :)

I have 3 partitions on a 120gb drive, one for my sister, brother, and me, and yet... found her old harddrive could be plugged in to, so I ended up with a 3rd partition I have wasted space on. Just use it as a data drive now though for important files, for instance, ones we might want to share. works good :)

That way, if you mess up windows or something, you'll still have all you're data if the worst happens!

*edit*, well not if your hard drive fails, but you get what I mean :p (3 harddrives went in 2 months, believe that? :( )

*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom