AMD Price drop! 30% of Athlon 64s

jay8990

Daemon Poster
AMD chops chip prices 4:19PM
In the wake of new Opteron servers, AMD has breathed on its processor pricing.
In addition to the Opterons, there are changes to the Sempron, Athlon 64, Mobile Athlon 64 and MP line of processors.

Beginning with the Opterons, the new two- and eight way models are at priced at $851 and $1,514, respectively. To make way for the new models, all the pricing has shuffled down one level, i.e. the 848 now costs what the 846 previously did and the 846 costs what the 844 did. Generally speaking, the cuts across the Opteron range are in the 20 per cent bracket, from single- to eight-way models. Leading the way, however, is the single-way workstation-targeted Model 150, which is cut by 34.5 per cent to $417.

Meanwhile, the top-of-the-range Athlon 64 4000+ is cut by 12 per cent to $643. But it is the following chips that see the biggest cuts - reduced by a third: the 3800+ falls to $424 and the 3700+ to $329, which represent a cut of 34 and 30 per cent respectively. Other Athlon 64s are cut in the region of eight per cent.

--------------------------------------
Section of a PC Pro article

I think they should rename it to "Yet another reason amd kicks the s£%t out of Intel :D

Ya i wish i waited a month too. Would have gotten a diffenret mobo and a cheaper CPU. But i am sure in another month or 2 there will be other drastic changes i wish i had...

yeah its annoying how things move on!!

ah welll...i couldnt have waited any longer for ma 3500+ anyway! night i ordered it i was about biting my hands off in suspense! :D lol

that's always been the story though, no sooner do you buy a component that it's getting outdated and reduced in price. Doesn't change how good it is though :) and yes, another reason why amd >>>>>> Intel. - that and the latest news on xbits.com saying how virtualisation will be able to run on the older amd cores aswell as their new line of opterons. Take that and smoke it Intel, it would seem amd has leveled up the playing field with regards to all new technology. (of course intel still has their super new silicon laser technology but thats in extreme infancy so we shant see commercial silicon laser products until 2009-2010 I dont expect, and even then probably just servers. By which time AMD will have adopted the same or better technology and will have racked up another victory :) )

Oh well, I saved $40 on my 3500+ Winchester Core, so that is ok. Hmm, *drools* Oh Toledo!! Come to your master Toledo, you are part of me! Fusion!

Mal said:
that's always been the story though, no sooner do you buy a component that it's getting outdated and reduced in price. Doesn't change how good it is though :) and yes, another reason why amd >>>>>> Intel. - that and the latest news on xbits.com saying how virtualisation will be able to run on the older amd cores aswell as their new line of opterons. Take that and smoke it Intel, it would seem amd has leveled up the playing field with regards to all new technology. (of course intel still has their super new silicon laser technology but thats in extreme infancy so we shant see commercial silicon laser products until 2009-2010 I dont expect, and even then probably just servers. By which time AMD will have adopted the same or better technology and will have racked up another victory :) )

You mean the rumored LIGHTSPEED technology AMD is developing? It will include new ODRAM (Optical Dynamic RAM) and the new OSiCT (Optical Silicon Carbon Tunnel) technology for the on-die interfaces. Intel is going down, being that AMD is now engineered by the GERMANS!

Nice avatar Zen, and I hadn't heard about that ODRAM you mention, but yes the OSiCT is what i was refering to. What news sites do you look at out of interest?
I use tomshardware.com, news.com.com (cnet's site), xbitlabs.com/news and securityfocus.com for the virus/security news.

Back
Top Bottom