Does this seem ok?

crayzboost

In Runtime
ok i put both my raptor drives in, this is how i have them set up, please let me know if i should change something.

36.7g raptor(c drive) i installed windows xp pro and on the 74g raptor(D drive) i installed everything else, programs, games and such

now the wierd thing is that i had to reinstall a bunch of my programs an when i did it seems some if not all of the ones i reinstalled somehow got over onto the c drive, is this normal? also alot of the programs are not on the start menu.

it seems difficult to keep track of the HD'd like which programs go where and stuff.

i just want to know if what i am doing is right. this is like the 4th time i have formated these HD's and reinstalled everything, and im getting tired of it.

thanks in advance

since you have twin raptors, you can put stuff on either drive. Usualy people only have 1 raptor so they put stuff on the faster dirve but any drive for you is ok. Why don't you get a storage drive too?

You want to set up a RAID configuration with your 2 HD's I believe. If so you will should have initially set it in the BIOS.
From what you describe you seem to have a bridge missing in your configuration. Did you do a BIOS update; your mobo may not have the proper settings for a RAID configuration with high RPM SATA hard disks.
Get all your updates. Also, you may have a mirrored administrator which don't have all the programs installed, so check USERS in your configuration panel.
Other than that, not enough input.

nah i dont want raid, i dont think it will work with two different sized HD's. what i want is if one hd fails i will still have internet acess and most of my programs.

In a RAID 0 configuration it is true you need two identical hard drives, but with a RAID 1, which is a mirrored configuration which is exactly what you want then you don't need identical hard drives.
In your case, from what I understand you want to operating system installation on two separate hard drives, so if one fails, you will be able to pick up from the other.
Well you can do that by changing the primary boot disk in your BIOS; if it fails, change the boot disk sequence to the disk that is functional........but you are wasting a lot of valuable disk space that way. Hard disk don't crash that ofter.
The easiest way is to make a backup of your whole computer using Norton Ghost or XP Pro backup tools. When you have fast hard disks use em. You were asking why I have a third hard disk; data and backups. I use a RAID 0 configuration with my WD for programming speed, and that's where RAID configurations are so practical.

Re-reading your statement, most programs want to be on the same drive as the operating system in the program files folder. If tried to install them on your other hard drive, depending on the program, some components will end up on the main hard disk. If you don't see your programs shortcut on your taskbar, create them (if they were installed on the other drive, they may not be linked to WINDOWS explorer, so you won't see them.

zero4zero said:
In a RAID 0 configuration it is true you need two identical hard drives, but with a RAID 1, which is a mirrored configuration which is exactly what you want then you don't need identical hard drives.
In your case, from what I understand you want to operating system installation on two separate hard drives, so if one fails, you will be able to pick up from the other.
Well you can do that by changing the primary boot disk in your BIOS; if it fails, change the boot disk sequence to the disk that is functional........but you are wasting a lot of valuable disk space that way. Hard disk don't crash that ofter.
The easiest way is to make a backup of your whole computer using Norton Ghost or XP Pro backup tools. When you have fast hard disks use em. You were asking why I have a third hard disk; data and backups. I use a RAID 0 configuration with my WD for programming speed, and that's where RAID configurations are so practical.

see i thought that even with raid 1 i would need identical HD's, because if the HD's are going to mirror each other and say i end up having more than 36.7g total data then where would the rest get mirrored to? do you see what im saying.

Back
Top Bottom