Myth or Fact

It's pre-genesis to believe that; BUT the more often you turn your monitor on/off the more it will degrade. Someone mentioned lightbulbs; but the fact is most components degrade when they go from a hot to a cool state; parts expands when hot and contracts when cooling. Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth rapidly a few times, and the heat produced will make the clip break; same thing with a monitor or comparable fluorescent light ballast.
The best way to save your monitor is to put it in energy saving standby mode; you'll save hydro ( ~$100/yr) depending where you live probably save enough to pay for your next screen.

wow thanks dude!
problem is the phillips monitor i got doesn't turn to a nice yellow light it just flashes a green light which is quite anoying when ya trying to sleep!
jack

Oooh its liek the time me and a friend burned/melted a hole in a test tube

Me and a friend was boiling water and trying to get it VERY HOT then we tipped the water out under COLD water straight away and keep doing the samething until we were boiling some water and the bottom came off

I keep my computer and monitor (as well as all my other electronics) runnning 24/7.
I do restart my PC everyday though, to keep it reliable (although this is mainly a holdover from the days when I used Win 95/98/ME)

leaveing the monitor on with pixels is more likely to burn images into the phosphor in a CRT screen, since we don't all use textbased systems anymore screenburn isn't such a big problem, but it does still happen.

I have reached a compromise, keep it on during the day and turn it off at night :D
jack

Back
Top Bottom