Linux?

it is an alternative operating system to microsoft wnidows that is open source, which means that it is free.

lol, its much better than windows, well i prefer it anyway, LK is going to do his nut now!!!!:D how is microsoft the divine, it is far too expensive to be worthwile gettign when there is a free, just as good, or mabye better OS than windows:D

lol, I might've guessed you'd have the last word in this post LK. As for the question, you can, but you have to create a partition on your hard drive (or just install it onto a seperate hard drive if you have two or more). There is one alternative which I took as I didn't fancy nor have the space, to partition my hard drive (family computer :( ) and that is to download Knoppix's Iso image file and burn it to a CD which then creates a boot disk version of linux (well, knoppix - a Linux Live! distribution) and that loads from booting after switching your boot order in your bios to CD before HDD. That way provides a clean slate to practice on. (if you do anything wrong, just shut down the computer and boot up again and its as if you'd never done it before) Also it is (needless to say) portable, can be used with windows quite happily as I am at the minute, and is free to download and modify to your tastes. A book is also available which I got called "knoppix hacks" this comes with the .iso file on a CD and tells you all you need to know about using it aswell as the guides on linux.org I strongly recommend getting to know how linux works and the relevant command line interface it gives (i.e Shell window) as languages such as perl also use similar structure and servers across the globe primarily run on linux. If you were to want a career in computing in the future you will have to learn about linux sooner or later, and THAT LK, you can't dispute (..oh but watch him try lol)

I cannot dispute that. It is true :D To know your enemy - is to begin to understand how to destroy the enemy. But the enemy is not the Linux Software - its the Open-Source Developers or 'Linux-Folk'. And while learning about the software, and using the software can only go so far - understanding why the people use and develop for the software is the problem. Although even that can be got around - because Developers don't make up a good deal, if a whole percentage at all of the Computer Market. Making better software - in its self - is all that is needed to defeat the Linux-Folk that plague the earth with their Anarchistic Views on Software. For then nobody uses what the Developer makes, and they go the way of the Dodo - or realise their mistake and work for a software company.

It works while people are discontented with Microsoft - especially over the long XP period Linux has grown. When people aren't discontented with Microsoft; and considering Microsoft is easier; growth can again stop, and eventually go down.

IIS 7, Longhorn, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Server whatever shall begin it.

Back
Top Bottom