Converting AVI to MPEG1

d_source

Daemon Poster
I used cucusoft avi-mpg converter yesterday. Seems pretty simple. I converted a 280mb avi movie into MPEG 1 format. The file took about 1.15hrs to convert and the size of the new file is 690mb. Is that a good amount of time and what really confuses me is why did it become such a large file? Does that mean if i were to convert a 700mb avi file to mpeg 1 it will end up being like 2GB? WTF!

You must take into consideration the size and compression of the AVI. Some AVI's are quite compressed and can be a real challenge to a comp.

As for the size...MPEG isn't the best compression you know, neither is MEPG2... If you're worred about size, use an AVI/Divx compression(probably what it was already in) If you want compatability(say to play on a DVD player) MEPG all the way!

It all depends on the speed of your system, amount of RAM etc.
I do not see the necessity of converting an .avi to an mpg (there are now on the market DVD players that reads .avi formats !!) but there is better than CUSOFT; try this one:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avi2mpg2.html
It was initialized bbmpeg for a reason; the generated file will not be ~ 3 times bigger like CUSOFT (you have to use the right parameters to get good results)

zoomtm said:
1.15hours?? it took my pc 10mins to do 2gb

What program do you use? As you can see my specs in my sig, i should be getting faster results too.

And the reason i am converting avi to mpg is to be able to use the files in a program called DVD Lab Pro, in order to put it all together onto a DVD. Does anyone know of any DVD creating programs that will take the avi file?

zero4zero , Thanks for the tip on the other avi converter tool, i will try that one tonight.

dunno guess my rig is just better lol
hmm maybe you need to update the bios, install new chipset drivers, or change a setting in the bios

Your wondering why it takes so long; well from what you have as a system, it is pretty well comparable to mine or zoomtm, but with these programs sometimes you have memory settings (do you have dual channel?).
Another program which changes .avi to vcd is Nero! If you have a version 6.x, use Nero Express and convert the .avi to vcd.
There is another simple way which is explained which requires you to take the sound out with VirtualDub (free) and then process the file using TMPGEnc: here's the download site, http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html
but how long it will take, you'll have to try it to know.

i know how to make it faster: "dude, get a dell." :p

i would suspect that is ur harddrive tho, cuz the wetern ds i work with will always stall out and run crappy.

Back
Top Bottom