Password Help?

pagels7

Solid State Member
I forgot my password and can't get passed the sign-in dialog box. I was told I would have to re-install the operating system. I no long have that disk (Window 2000 Professional, NT Technology) so I bought XP to upgrade. I inserting the XP disk, which is supposed to start right up for installation, but it didn't. The password dialog box is staying put. Humph. I then robooted and hit F8. Again, in safe mode, it's asking for a password. What's up with that? Please advise.

when you start up your computer hold down del key, look for something called boot priotry make sure your cd drive is first, put the xp cd in and reboot, xp will now load the dos part of setup, hit enter, hit f8, hit enter, DONOT reformat, follow on screen instructions, when asked for proof of pervious os select the harddrive it will see win2k and upgrade

note it must be xp pro upgrade and not xp home upgrade since xp home cannot upgrade windows 2k

Thanks for replying. I tried what you said, but only got as far as " look for something called boot priotry make sure your cd drive is first". I didn't see anything that said that.

if i am correct if you hold down f8 and then turn on ur dell, it should come up with this boot menu from there select the first cdrom drive you have and follow the rest of the instructions in my pervious post

password

Okay, I have a blue and gray screen up with Main, Advanced, Security, Power, Boot and Exit tabs. I looked in all of them for something that said boot priotry, but don't see that. Am I doing something wrong? Obviously, I'm no computer expert and feel pretty much like a dummy here. Also, the problem computer is not the one I'm talking to you on.

It should say"FIrst boot devie, second boot device " and so on. I have neer seen "boot priority" but i always see first boot and second boot and third boot. Check in Advanced BIOS, it is usually there or something similar to that.

Back
Top Bottom