is it possible to..

reeseslover531

Solid State Member
Have my one domain but link it to a couple of different servers so that the bandwidth is spread out between the servers?

Yes, this is commonly referred to as load balancing.

You would need something to act as the load balancer. Do you currently own or administer the servers you plan to spread your site across?

You have a few options.

1) Cisco make an appliance they call the Cisco Director. I think it runs about $3500.

2) VA Linux makes and appliance based on, well, Linux. It comes loaded with the OS and all the required packages and soon they will have a nice little web based admin tool for it. I think its in the $3500 range as well.

3) You can use a software package called Ultramonkey. Ultramonkey is actually what runs the VA Linux appliance and VA Linux actually funds some of the Ultramonkey development. Ultramonkey is free to use but you still have to have the hardware to run it. You are probably looking at about $500-$700 depending on what kind of machine you want to run it on.

I can't really say too much about option 1 or 2. I've never used either of those appliances. I have used Ultramonkey on a machine I've put together.

**Warning: I am, by no means, and expert on this software. :)**

Some of the how-to's are a little lean on the details but it actually not hard to configure. I'll be happy to answer any quesitons that I can. The Ultramonkey web site is www.ultramonkey.org.

thanks a lot! I will need to see if we have the funds to get the servers and the software and I will probably ask you some questions!!

windows server load balancing dotn need an external "appliaince" he he! its built right into the server OS!

You are absolutly correct. Windows does have a load balancing feature built into it. I've never used it personally but I hear its not too shabby.

Maybe you can shed a little light on this subject. Its been a long time since I worked with clusters. Do the 2K/2k3 clustering services still require you to have the external shared storage device? I would assume so since you are actually setting up a real cluster with the windows option.

Back
Top Bottom