Linux Vs Windows

Open in OpenGL does not mean open-source. It means cross-platform. But its open source as well.

I don't know why people are raving like crazy bout HL2. I didnt find anything spectacular bout it. The graphics wasn't that great, the physics was the "already used by many games" Havok engine and the storyline was crap.

Lets get this straightened out. Direct3D is NOT cross-platform. Cross-platform means that it supports all platforms, not all MAJOR platforms. I have yet to see a D3D app on a mobile phone, or a BSD system, or a Solaris system.

And i wouldn't talk through my hat if i had no idea at all about the situation, Kalthorn. Two and a half thousand people??? Come on, GNU/Linux had twice that number of users within a year when it was first released by Torvalds. There are millions of GNU/Linux home users in the world today and everyone of them is a potential gamer. Please get your facts right before you speak, Kalthorn.

mcclane said:
I never said we should or we would. I merely stated that you were wrong about the meaning of the word boycott and you were wrong when you said Linux users had no power over Gaming.
Well... they don't :D Percentage of contented DirectX Users of Games out of all Game Users and Percentage of OpenGL Anti-Microsoft sorts out of all Game Users are not comparable basically.

mcclane said:
No, the vast majority of Gaming servers are Linux because Windows simply is not able for it. Theres a reason these companies who do not make Linux versions of their games, make Linux versions of their game serving software.
That would just be an inefficient use of the Development Time. If it works now with DirectX why change it.

mcclane said:
Transgaming has a lot more than 2 and a half thousand members, and their product isn't open source. Its made up of open source code and their own commercial code.
Not very Open Sourcey is it then :D Its just another Commercial Company who can't make it in the real world so they entice Open-Source folks by Openning up some Source, but not all of it. Microsoft does that, and nobody calls it Open-Source.

mcclane said:
OpenGL is not a Linux Graphics library, OpenGL is an Open non-proprietry method of talking directly to the graphics hardware. Its cross-platform.
Linux, Open-Source, they are basically the same basic theory. Anarchy of Technology. Petty in fighting between hundreds of useless setups. A Technological Civil War that cannot end until there is a Monopoly is not what we need. DirectX is Cross Platform. XP :D 98, 2000, Me, Longhorn.

mcclane said:
There have not been better Gaming designers, there haven't been better gaming designers. There might be better gaming designers in the future when hes retired.

Without John Carmack there wouldn't be a Half-life, there wouldn't be a Halo, there wouldn't be a gaming industry as we know it today.
As we know it. There would be games - and the likelyhood, due mainly to human charactoristics, is that it would be hardly different, short of a few games he specifically created.

mcclane said:
Because he makes what ?

He created Doom, return to castle wolfenstein and the Quake Series.

He is the most influential figure in Gaming and i have yet to see anyone beat a John Carmack game in the first few months of when its released. Halo? Half-Life 2?

mcclane said:
btw don't talk to me about hl-2, the lighting was prehistoric, the storyline was solely there to drag people into the third, the physics engine was the best thing about the game and they bought that from someone else.
mcclane said:
Haha, beat me to it :D That's what a Game is for - few people care about the graphics to the nth degree, and those will never be satisfied.

mcclane said:
"OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) is a specification defining a cross-language cross-platform API for writing applications that produce 3D computer graphics (and 2D computer graphics as well). The interface consists of about 250 different function calls which can be used to draw complex three-dimensional scenes from simple primitives. It is very popular in the video games industry where it competes with Direct3D (on Microsoft Windows) (see Direct3D vs. OpenGL). OpenGL is used in CAD, virtual reality, scientific visualisation programs, information visualisation and video game development."

Open--GL. The name might point to the fact that its *Shock* OPEN. Opengl runs on any platform, Windows, Linux or Mac.
Its only used for what because they can change it for their own purposes. Microsoft however, has released a good deal of Shared-Source initiatives recently. Its silly to believe DirectX won't be in there too eventually for Universities.

I said: 'You were just talking of only making it available in OpenGL... doesn't sound very Open and Cross Platform to me' because making something in OpenGL isn't :D Windows users have to install 3rd Party Software and it won't run as well as DirectX. This is the only party that matters - because its a good 90% of the Gaming Market. They're not going to use something that's slower and hardly as good just because some Anarchists have dreams of a world where everybody does what they want when they want regardless of ability or need. It would be a civil war with thousands of Linux Developments trying to kill each other. Microsoft, and DirectX in this case, with Shared Source in time - is the light and organisation the Software Industry needs.

"Shared-source' is merely a gimmick to improve Microsoft's opinion rating in the computing world. And OpenGL works just as good as DirectX. Doom 3 proved that. A test was done and the exact same scenes looked exactly the same as it was done in DX. And LK, the statement "DirectX is Cross Platform. XP :D 98, 2000, Me, Longhorn." shows how shallow you are in computers. The computing world does not revolve around MS. There are many other Operating Systems other than Windows therefore the term "cross-platform" cannot be applied to Windows only.

Of course; but DirectX works better with Windows than OpenGL - and DirectX 9 is old, OpenGL is at most, what, 2 Days old? Maybe a Week. We shall see with Avalon.

Shared Source is greatly useful for Companies and Governments, and Universities are allowed even to change it for tests and tell Microsoft about it.

whoah-longest post i have ever seen, WOW

I would stick to windows because it takes most software!

That's what's wrong with "shared-source". Microsoft uses its customers as free-of-charge beta-testers. You test the software, tell MS about the faults and problems and MS makes the changes without giving you any credit or benefits. Unlike GNU/Linux, where you can even release your own version if neccesary. The changes you make to the source code cannot be shared with other institutions/people as well, only MS. To me, its a Win-Lose situation with MS geting all the benefits and the people getting none.

iamroot said:
That's what's wrong with "shared-source". Microsoft uses its customers as free-of-charge beta-testers. You test the software, tell MS about the faults and problems and MS makes the changes without giving you any credit or benefits. Unlike GNU/Linux, where you can even release your own version if neccesary. The changes you make to the source code cannot be shared with other institutions/people as well, only MS. To me, its a Win-Lose situation with MS geting all the benefits and the people getting none.
Yeah - that's what they are :D You do that naturally.

The people get the benifits through the superior software, or the one less bug that you have fixed. Of course if you want to make a difference to the people to work specifically for Microsoft but if you're a Developer on a large firm or a government. Or a research facility. Shared-Source is a brilliant idea.

Lord Kalthorn said:
What about when he's not playing games? :D More bonuses for Windows! :D
humm, I am always playing games or wait i am of CF right now? :( LK you got me,,, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lol

Back
Top Bottom