Strange problem with internet speed

tommystanfield

Beta member
I'm having the strangest problem with my internet connection. I use dial-up and my speed averages 40Kbps when all is well. For the last few months my speed has dropped to around 12Kbps. I've tired everything I could think of to fix this. At first I thought it was a virus or spyware. I've use AdAware, Spybot, AVG antivirus and my system is clean. My phone line is clear and noiseless. I cleared my cache, defragged , and freed-up a third of my hard-drive. I discovered last week by dumb-luck that If I play a Mpeg movie in my IrfanView program, close it, then reconnect to the internet everything is fine. This works 90% of the time, -not always. I am totally baffled. This is the stupidest thing I ever heard of. I'm running Windows ME with 128MB RAM on an old HP-Pavillion. Can someone please help.

128 MegaBytes RDRAM HP Pavilion 9870 I guess? Have you tried reformatting your computer? Have you contacted you ISP? There seems to be no Logical reason for your internet to be that slow damn my internet is at 100 MBPS and that seems to be too slow for me? Are you in the position to where you could reformat? What Anti-Virus are you using? And also I doubt this is the problem I highly doubt its ME but ME is very unstable you should try and go to Windows 2000 Professional!

Don't upgrade to XP with 128MB Ram 128mb is the minimum required just to RUN IT! running xp on 128mb ram is crazy worst mistake of my life

yep, that'll make your computer slower than molases in the winter...

What browser are you using, cuz that used to happen to me a very long time ago, when i had (AOL) don't laugh it came free w/the comp.

anyway's this browser some how started off fine, then made it drop down to a trickle...

But when i used MSN, my browser flew...

Back
Top Bottom