Linux slower than windows

Kupo1

Baseband Member
Linux slower than Windows XP?

I just instaleld knoppix 3.6 and it seems to load things slower is this just me or is it becuase i have no learned to use linux yet and confiure it so it runs awesomey ?

It does not matter if windows is faster w/e i was just curious.

Installed knoppix? Are you talking about a hard-drive installation of Knoppix or are you running the OS from the CD? It makes alot of difference as Knoppix running from the CD is much slower due to the slower data transfer speeds of the CD-ROM drive.

I get what u mean... GNOME and KDE does feel "slower" than the Windows GUI. I tink tats cos GNOME and KDE are both huge packages, unlike the Windows GUI.

>>I just instaleld knoppix 3.6 and it seems to load things slower is this just me or is it becuase i have no learned to use linux yet and confiure it so it runs awesomey ?

A Hard Drive Install ?

>>I get what u mean... GNOME and KDE does feel "slower" than the Windows GUI. I tink tats cos GNOME and KDE are both huge packages, unlike the Windows GUI.

Gnome and KDE are NOT larger packages then the Windows GUI, if by large u mean bloated of course. The Windows gui is integrated into the windows kernel which makes Windows bloated.

The reason that Windows seems faster, and note i use the word "Seems" is because of the Windows design. In Windows the "gui" as u call it, is right next to the kernel. This gives it less layers to go through before it can tell the kernel to do something. Gnome and KDE on the other hand have to go through many layers to talk to the kernel.

I'm not going to go into it but having stuff beside the kernel is a very bad idea. This is why Windows crashes and is a major cause of instability.

The second major reason that windows "seems" faster is the refresh factor.
When you click on a button on the screen, the screen (or the part of the screen which has changed) must be refreshed(redrawn). In Windows much more emphasis is put on that redrawing then the actual processing of said command to the kernel. i.e > You are staring at an hour glass but you can still move your mouse and the button was clicked and popped back up so u THINK its fast.

On Linux that redrawing is slower and much less emphasis is put on it. (u can change that) i.e -> It "Appears" as if the window manager is slower because its not been redrawn when in actual fact its not the window manager thats slow, its the windowing system thats waiting to redraw the screen.

Back
Top Bottom