Your favorite magazines

Well my favorite magazine would be "MAD" magazine...Lol...Nah, sike !!

I guess I would have to say: Popular Science b/c I love science & Astrology.

airiox said:
NO 50 ips in the time you have been here. Just thought that you used DialUp since you had so many IPS. Honestly out of all the users I have checked up on you were by far the most.

Its harder for hackers and stuff to track you so look on the bright side.

I've accessed this site from uni, my parents place in Italy and at home. I have a highly dynamic IP here at my apartment... and my computer is also encrypted.

Well, I subscribe to PC World magazine. That makes it my favorite because it keeps me up-to-date with the latest news and trend in the PC market.

Giancarlo said:
I never will agree with you because I did read their far cry review and I did see things about multiplayer.

Well you sure you dont want to take that back? Cuz here is the transcript for the complete Far Cry review. HMM no multiplay is there.

If someone would've told me that the best action game of the last five-odd years was going to come from a previously unknown company located in Germany, I would've laughed a hearty laugh, mocked the person endlessly, and returned to whatever I was doing. Great action games came from places like Mesquite, Texas, and Kirkland, Washington, not from the wilds of Deutschland.

Well, slap me silly, because not only does Far Cry offer utterly sensational visuals and jaw-dropping gameplay, but it also heralds the arrival of developer Crytek, which now joins id Software and Valve at the head of the shooter class. Make no mistake, Far Cry is a stunning achievement and deserving of both your time and your money. Go buy it right now.

Welcome to Paradise

Though it's typical shooter fare, Far Cry's story keeps you sufficiently interested in what's going on. You're Jack Carver, a charter-boat captain hired to take photojournalist Valerie Constantine to some islands in the South Pacific. But wouldn't you know it, Valerie isn't really a photojournalist, and these islands are teeming with mercenaries and mutants. Luckily, Carver used to be in the Special Forces. (Funny how it always works out that way.)

Far Cry's level designs are second-to-none. Despite the fact that all the preview screenshots focused on the game's tropical setting, there are also levels set deep in underground labs, on a volcano, and even on a beached aircraft carrier. In fact, nearly every kind of environment is on display here, and each is used to brilliant effect. Each new level forces you to adapt your style of play.

For example, in the Treetop mission, you must use stealth to work your way across elevated walkways while avoiding the mutants and mercenaries who are intent on killing each other (and you). In Regulator, you simply run through hallways, gunning down any enemies who cross your path. And in Rebellion, your objective is simple — jump into a truck, haul ass away from the fighting, and hope that no one spots you. The game never feels old, and a strategy that worked in one section of the game is probably going to be useless in another. You're forced to be creative and to probe each new level intelligently.

What makes the levels even more compelling is that most of them offer several different paths for you to take. Have to move from one island to another? You can swim across, steal a boat, or even fly a hang glider. Unlike in most shooters, where you just plow through a level, you're rewarded for taking your time and fully exploring each and every area.

Glorious Cryengine

CryENGINE, the technology behind Far Cry, is a modern wonder of the world. Not only is it capable of rendering vast distances, but it also packs in a surprising amount of detail, such as trees, ruins, and mercenary bases. A great example of this visual depth is toward the end of the game — while standing at the top of a waterfall (before jumping off the cliff!), you can look out and see over a kilometer. It's truly a sight to behold.

The brilliance of the CryENGINE also carries over to the character models, which are perfect both in terms of animation and detail. Even the indoor areas are jam-packed with copious amounts of detail, from cigarette stubs to paper scraps. Some of Far Cry's labs and corridors easily rival anything that we've seen the Doom 3 engine produce. We should all expect to see this technology powering several new games over the next few years.

As you'd expect, if you want to revel in Far Cry's visual glory, you'll need some pretty impressive hardware. I played the game on a Pentium 4 3GHz with 1GB of RAM and a 128MB ATI card — and there were still a few moments where the game chugged a bit. If you play the game on something closer to the “recommended” specs, expect to have to turn down most of the graphical options.

Much has also been made of Far Cry's AI, and for the most part, it is impressive. Enemies will flank you, use cover, and call for reinforcements. Another nice touch is that once the island's Dr. Moreau is unveiled, the mercenaries and mutants will immediately battle each other when they come into contact. In fact, they'll often be so intent on killing each other that they'll ignore you, and you can smartly use the chaos to your advantage. (There are some instances where the AI chokes a bit and enemies see you when they shouldn't, or stand right in front of you without noticing you, but such quibbles are ultimately very minor.)

Without a doubt, Far Cry is the kind of game that reminds us all why we love this hobby so much. It's a superlative experience and a mind-blowing opening salvo in the coming shooter wars. Valve and id had better be paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom