Favorite web programming language

Most people that use oracle and enterprise databases dont care about usage. They run clusters of DB servers only on high spec systems usualy. Because thats what orcale is for, intensiveness, government Db's etc :D

Oracle 10g, the worlds frst, (and only)true grid database server...
Oracle is great...
admitidly not as easy as MSSQL (by far the easiest to write and adminster).
Not even as easy as MySQL which sits between the two. but once you get to grips with it an figure it out it's actually not that bad (perhaps even refreshing) to use.
In my job, (as a network admin) I get to play wih lots of server programs,

Camers isn't completly right, (yes) we support Oracle databases for governmen agencies, but we also support them in much smaler companies, not noly is it thewords most powerfull database, it's also multi platform.

so for databases, ease of use
MSSQL > MySQL > Oracle

ease of administration
MSSQL > MySQL > Oracle.

sheer power and scalability
Oracle >> MSSQL > MySQL

resource use
Oracle > MSSQL > MySQL

That's suprising. I've never used MSSQL, I just presumed it was harder to use than MySQL?

But then again; Microsoft - its got to be good :D

no, much much easier,
My SQL is awkward to use in comparrisson, (It's all down to the grahpical interface.) -MySQL is obviously primerally designed to be used on Linux servers that may not even have a window system installed. -so thats why (IMHO) MSSQL beats MySQL for administration.
The actual language is very very simillar, so a more accurate way of displaying the comparisson would perhaps have been
MSSQL~MySQL or MSSQL>=MySQL...

For resource use I only compared windows systems as MSSQL doesn't run on Linux/Unix.
I also accounted for well maintained servers, MSSQL suffers hugely from massive memory leaks. (in fact I've seen the process taking up 1.5GB of RAM on a machine that hadn't been restarted for over 6 months).

so on reflection, MySQL has better resource use if you want to have an unattended server.

Lol; sounds very good :D I should get MSSQL soon... will be interesting to try the Administrative Stuff. Microsoft SQL Manager should be released in Beta 2 soon.

Back
Top Bottom