Networking Win98se with WinXP

smackfan761

Baseband Member
Can anyone help me with this....i'm trying to network windows 98se to windows xp pro. I have both computers connected through a router and they both can connect to the internet, but I cant get them to see each other for file and print sharing. I've tried just about everything I can think of using the network setup wizard, but nothing seems to be working. I saw another thread on here about this, but I didnt see anything in there explaining how to get this to work. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do?

The 98 machine is causing the problem...it's not the best for networking ;P

Make sure file and print sharing is enabled, share a drive, then make note of what name you used on the 98 machine. over on your XP machine, go to computer management, users, and add the name to the machine. That SHOULD get it...

If they still don't show up, just go to run and type in the name of the machine, or the IP address if you know it. \\dadams would be my computer. Once that's up, you could even map the folder/drive you have shared so it shows up in my computer...

The_Other_One said:
over on your XP machine, go to computer management, users, and add the name to the machine. That SHOULD get it...

All that is doing is creating a new user for this computer on the start up screen. It doesnt add anything to the networking part.

Back
Top Bottom