Suddenly monitor goes blank

ratsrolls

Solid State Member
Hey all
I just built a new machine this morning and everything went swell. I installed windows and everything fine. My specs are
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Abit AV8
Western Digital 7200RPM 8mb Buffer
128mb 9600xt (made by ATi)
2X 512mb Crucial Ram PC3200
460W Enermax PSU 33A@+12V

I installed C4.12 but something went corrupted and I got error messages. I uninstalled it and installed C5.1. Every was good at first. I left the computer on for an hour or so and then came down and surfed the web a little and suddenly my monitor shows no activity, but my hard drive is working and all the fans are still spinning so its just the monitor.

I thought it was corrupted video card drivers, so I reformatted and installed Windows XP again. I decided to test it out and installed Far Cry. And once I got into the main menu the monitor went out again.

I tried reseating the card, but no luck. I am preatty sure the card is working as I pulled it from my previous system were it worked flawlessly. Also, before I reformatted, it was running at 28C so I don't think heat is an issue.. I am doubting the card is at fault here but any suggestions??

maybe the monitor itself has some issues. are you sure none of the cables for the monitor are screwy? maybe its not screwed tightly enough. yaeh, as fir the card, i think its working fine too. but maybe the card is shifting around and the connection isnt steady. my firend had that same problem wehre his card was shifty and his monitor just wouldnt turn on. he got a new vid card. hope this helps.

Uh... the resolution settings may have been changed and the monitor doesn't support them. Or, your cable on the monitor is loose or damaged.

Ok, heres the trippy part, I installed my old 32mb tnt2 Pro and it ran with no problems. Even gave it the 3dmarks01 test and it went through the whole thing fine. Is it my card then?? Maybe my PSU?? but my PSU should be plenty to power all this right?

Nah, its a 1024* and I have a 17" monitor. Plus it works fine at those resolutions with a tnt2 pro

hmm.. well i put in the 9600xt again and installed my chipset drivers and the catylst 5.1 drivers for my 9600xt and this time when i try and run the 3dmarks01se it doesn't make the screen go blank .. but it still won't run it and whatever "vpu recover" kicks in and it goes back to windows..

anyone know what this vpu recover is and does it mean my card is gone or theres just some compatability issues or whatever?

Back
Top Bottom