Windows XP boot up problems

ronnieglavin

Beta member
Hi All,
Can anyone help please?
I am suffering terrible problems with booting up my computer to window Xp, have not installed any hardware or software beforehand.
From boot up it goes through the two set up screens and just before the first windows xp logo screen should appear it goes to a blue error screen with the 'a problem has occured' and STOP code X8E at the bottom.
If I reboot again I it gets halfway through the Windows XP logo screen before blue screening again and on this I have had over 15 different error codes with some as fatal system error.
The puzzling thing for me is that if I keep rebooting it, after about 5 attempts it loads windows xp without any problems. It is not slow and does not crash or auto shut down, I can use it without problems for hours until shut down.
I have done a system restore without effect and run a registry error fixer again without effect.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Simon

Windows xp boot problems

Hi There,
My computer specs are;
Manufacturer VIA Technologies
Model, VT 8363
Ram memory 640 MB
HD Memory 2GB
Processor Athlon AMD x86
Windows XP Service pack 2

yeah, and have you tried to just reformationg your drive? maybe its the hard drivwe connection. try reconnting your hd.

New info on boot problems

Thanks for all the info so far, will try the HD connection later today.
Have now developed a further problem which may help, on trying to power up now I push the button in, it powers for a second and then stops. If I switch off at the plug each time and continue to try power up eventually it will power up normally, although only to then get the blue error screen messages. Although once it has powered up I can switch it on and off without problem - is this a power supply problem?
Have now on advice switched the memory around and tried an extra fan in case of heat problem to no avail.

can you bootup to safe mode ? and if so, what does it tell you in devise manager ? if there is a conflict with one of the devise's it will tell you by having an exclamation mark.

Boot up problem got worse

The computer died this afternoon, in windows xp for couple of hours no problem when power stopped and started inside followed by a blue screen fatal system error. Switched off at plug and restarted but now it just powers up, no beep and a blank screen plus a faint cooked or burnt smell rising from the tower.
All fans are still working, am now working from spare tower I had.

Back
Top Bottom