Safety precautions and power safety.

Windex1

In Runtime
Some people leave their power cords in while they repair a computer.
Some take out the power cord.

What do you do?
Why do you use that method instead of the other one?

My book tells me to unplug the system.

However, the teacher told me to keep it plugged in and attach the ESD bracelet's alligator clip to the metal frame of the box that way if a charge happens to your body the energy will be transferred to the metal frame of the box then the power cord and out to the ground.

Tommy Boy said:
always unplug your computer......always

ALWAYS!! You risk shock and also you risk destroying you PC! Always unplug it, and then hold down the powerbutton for 15-20 seconds to drain excess power out.

alwasy dude! unplug the darn thing! dude, extreme major shockage will happen... yeah amd siad it. no, that is not a joke
Quote:Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
...and then hold down the powerbutton for 15-20 seconds to drain excess power out.
NO. im being lazy too.

If you turn off the power supply, that means physically using that magic switch on the back of the power supply, it wont damage anything and by leaving it plug in in still you keep it grounded it also is the best way to fix your computer if you dont have a esd strap. becouse you are always touching the metal when you work.

NEVER UNPLUG YOU PC. Keeping it grounded is best. Just simply flip you PSU off any you are set.

true, you can flip the magic switch on the back of the power supply, but whatever you do, you should always make sure that you cut the power to the motherboard somehow, it can get damaged. and always wear and esd strap, and if you take something out to work on it, make sure you work on a properly grounded static mat.

Back
Top Bottom