Linux help

it is a wireless network, i log onto my next door neighbours network, dont worry i pay them to use it! i dont know what type it is, broardband i presume, it is always on

by the way you can forget about trying to use the cd's that came your laptop unless they specifically say they support linux, which I very much doubt. Linux comes with drivers for almost everything apart from some unknown/unbranded brands, hopefully it should have picked up most of your hardware during the installstion process including the onboard centrino wi-fi adapter. Let us know about you internet connection type and then we'll help you set that up, if it's always on accessed through your network it is a breeze to set up, one your connected that is

depending on your next doors configuration you should have an access key which you have to put in depending on whether they use Wep, WPA or no encription

thats what ive just been doing, it is so much better than windows, i prefer it already!! i dont know what encryption (if any) they have, when i log onto it in windows it says that it is an unsecured wireless network if that helps, i dont think that it is protected because i didnt need to get a code to log into it origonally. how can i get my word documents into the open office document, do i just insert my backup cd and copy them into the documents in linux or do i have to copy them into e drive(the partition) or is there anything else that i need to do?
Thanks
Mark

you should be able to connect straight into the wireless network then, i'm no sure about viewing other computers files though, i'm still working that out once I can get my linux box working again, my screen is messing around. as for your internet connection fiddle around in the network connections area and tell linux that you connect to the net throgh a lan connection that is always on

The files are on this computer, i want to get them from my documents on windows to linux open office. that is so i can load up linux at school and then dont need to use windows as much!! from what i have seen of it, it is soo much better than windows, do you think that it would be worth speaking to samsung to see if they supply drivers for linux?(my laptop is samsung) or will the drivers that came with linux be ok? shall i try an ethernet connection to the internet direct from the ntl modem in my house? that might work better than trying to connect the wireless ? thanks for all the help
Mark

the drivers that came with linux should work fine, is your house connection dial-up or braodband? the best way to transfer the files from windows is to burn them onto a cd if you have a cd burner, or use a removable disk such as a usb flash drive, linux will pick it up in the same way as windows does. i think that the internet connection thing should be in the network adapters area but I can't be sure, i would check for you but as I said my linux box is down at the moment, it also has fedora core 3 on it. have you tried to connect to the wireless connection yet?

i cant find the wireless connection, to be honest i havnt had too much time on linux at the moment, i came back online here to ask a couple of q's i will put the backup disc of all the files into it when i next start up linux and copy them. ill also try to connect to the internet when my sister is off it, it is broardband

Back
Top Bottom