Linux help

when i used mandrake I found it a bit f a pain to use, but don't let that stop you from using it. Personal my choice would be Suse which is available for free of their ftp server. They have also realeased the evaluation version of suse 9.2 pro i believe. Or you could buy it off amazon. I love Suse and would not go back to Mandrake. i like the Yast control centre especially. Fedora is very good as well, but is not aimed at the complete novice to linux. If you are willing to put the time in I would go with Fedora Core 3 but I find suse much more streamlined

wow, there are soo many versions out there! i tried to get suse but didnt really understand what to do, are there any versions of linux that dont need the HD to be partitioned, for some reason whenever i partition it windows always seems to crash and needs to be reinstalled, it is defraged and there are no viruses, i have run loads of antivirus programs and it is clean.

Suse is cool but the Personal edition has too few software for me. No GNOME. I'm using Fedora Core 3 now and it works pretty okay.

Okay. Best of luck. Post any qns u have about FC3 here. I'm using it so i can possibly be of some assistance.

Thanks, i will install it over the weekend or on monday, thanks for all the help so far, i will ask any other questions that i have, one at the moment, will my wireless network work on linux, i have a samsung M40 with centrino if that helps.

Linux should work with the centrino wireless networking as there was a big artical on it in Linux user magazine I seem o remember reading

Installed and working fine!! how do i set up the internet connection? do i need to install the drivers that came with the laptop (software cd's)? im really happy that it is working and it is soo much better than xp!
Thanks for all the help, ypou have all been really helpful to me
Mark

right what type of internet connection do you have dial up, or dsl, adsl, is it always on and plugged into your wi-fi access point

Back
Top Bottom