CPU upgrade question

REGNARTS_

Baseband Member
My first post! lol.... I'm new to this so here I go....

I have an Intel Motherboard D845BGL/LABEBGSTD2.
I have a 1.6GHz P4 running on this motherboard and I want to upgrade my cpu to something faster. Does anyone know any place where I can find information on the max cpu speed that this motherboard can handle?
I also heard something about cpu socket, does anyone know what that means and how does that play into upgrading to a new cpu? What are some general things I need to know in order to upgrade a cpu?

Thanks in advance.

aaa... so that's what the Motherboard supports..... what about the socket, what did you mean by a different socket can have diff processors?... more info for this newbie please?...lol.....:)

Well with your type of CPU, if you want speed, you will have to completely change mobo. Cause the one you have possibly has a 100 Mhz bus, PC100 RAM and a 16X multiplier.
Also I doubt very much that you would find a dealer that sells a CPU that would work with your chipset. If you would, you wouldn't be very much faster.
You might as well sell your PC and buy a new one. Not necessarily the fastest on the market but for ~ $600 Can you can have a PIV 3.0 Gig 512 PC3200 80 Gig hard drive, and a radeon 8x with 128 Meg: and you keep the same monitor.

Back
Top Bottom