Networking 100+ Computers start up issue

Im glad you figured it out, a little tip for you to help those nasty ME machines....if you grab an XP CD you can install all the updated network stuff off the XP CD on those ME machines.

Shouup, if you are not that much of an idiot, you would relise that ME is perfectly capable of networking and has nothing to do with it. Xp and ME do not treat NIC's differently ;) Just so you know.

"In the world of computers you are going to be a idiot or a genius. when you are a idiot dont mention my name"
~L33t Master

hrrrm... I coult get windows and linux to network right ether! hrrrm!

I got ya... use a linux to windows proxy for your network and put your machines in "domain" mode at each workstation

(right click my computer, go to computer name and should be workgroup and domain options click domain)

Linux has a sort of active directory domain schema that works slmost like windows server 2000.

I need to know the flavor of linux you're running so I can get you the excaty instructions how to setup teh domain controller on that server to give you IPs and to network them all centrallly

I also need to know if you have your DHCP serveices enabled on that server. if possible, take the cd and install all teh right packages for that server then enable them

I really need to know your flavor of linux so I have an idea how to exactly get you connected. Im giving you a red hat based scenario. this is very general

now If winME doesnt hanlde domain based connections that way I suggest you go to the regular netwok proiperties and try to find domain option there. it should work.

NOTE: You may also have to try installing windows to linux networking software as well.

NOTE2:You must install the windows file serveices software and windows anything to get it fully working.

If possbile you, after all this still arent gettign DHCP you may have to set static addresses and re-prop all machines IPs within teh school so no conflcits ariise.

I sincerely hope this helps!!!

and people stop flaming! he's still learning. I was in the same position when I did my first net admin gig. I was asked to help the admin cause she knew I was great cuase I helped her with a couple pcs before, and was the only one in the whole school who knew anything bout comps,

and I didnt knwo much about networkign then when I started ether.... I still learned and my knowledge grew!

PCM-> a very excellent start to start at school. ;) and if u need any advice just ask ;) and ignore anyone who flames you please dont leave its just a couple bad bites of whatever food. the rest may still be ok. ;)

Not everyone is born knowing everything about networking. even I'm still learning!

camers said:
Shouup, if you are not that much of an idiot, you would relise that ME is perfectly capable of networking and has nothing to do with it. Xp and ME do not treat NIC's differently ;) Just so you know.

I know they dont treat NICs diferently, XP is updated though, networks like updates.

Back
Top Bottom