The fall of Microsoft?

crazyjoe16 said:
Linux is much better than windows at one thing....doing nothing. sure linux has good security and.......and uh.....hmmmm....lets see......

hmmm looks like linux is good for just about nothing.

ps - what can u even do on linux besides run a server?

Ok, Mr. know it all, you can do almose anything you can do on linux, INCLUDING playing DOS based games, and anyother game made for ""Microshaft Windows"" via. a free program called WINE. Do your reasearch before you make comments like that, it will serve you well in life.

rakedog said:
No shit... Like I said, you don't know anything about linux, so don't talk about it.

Linux software is free, so you aren't going to be seeing it on shelves. You download it for free from FTP's, or it comes with the distro itself.

And you can emulate any program that you need to work with Linux that's made for Windows.

Only exception is games, and few games will run as good when emulated. Ironic though, game producers reccomend running gaming server on linux, not windows.

Very true, and a good point. Although there ARE programs like WINE, games almost never work AS WELL, but they will still work.

View SUSE 9.2 Pros BEAUTY!!!

linuxsusescreenie4pz.jpg

money_man said:
ok i've i've never seen linux run before would it be a good idea for me to download it and start fooling around or should I read about it first??? because you guys have me courious now, i've only ever used windows

Thats a good question, and I think that that choice is really up to you. My reccommendation (sorry, I know I am a piss-poor speller...) would be to find yourself a small hard drive, say 20GB, or so, and install to that. This ensures that you dont lose any of your data on your current Hard Drive, and that you can also chose which you want to boot at startup.

Now, I need people (like [USER] RakeDog [/USER]) to correct me on this, but I THINK (I really only use RedHat) that SUSE is much more user friendly, and RedHat is more server based, kind of more advanced. I have used Mandrake and FreeBSD and not liked them as much as either SUSE or RedHat. My personal reccommendation to you would be SUSE, since you are just starting out. Also, I would reccommend buying a book on Linux and it's predocessors etc...They are alot of help, and a good bedtime book (if your a computer nerd...:p)

I WANT IT! lol but seriously is it hard to use? because my uncle said (although about 5 years ago or more) he had training in linux and it is all commands and stuff to open programs...but that looks kinda like windows... is it hard to use?and to learn to use?

V-Man said:
Thats a good question, and I think that that choice is really up to you. My reccommendation (sorry, I know I am a piss-poor speller...) would be to find yourself a small hard drive, say 20GB, or so, and install to that. This ensures that you dont lose any of your data on your current Hard Drive, and that you can also chose which you want to boot at startup.

Now, I need people (like [USER] RakeDog [/USER]) to correct me on this, but I THINK (I really only use RedHat) that SUSE is much more user friendly, and RedHat is more server based, kind of more advanced. I have used Mandrake and FreeBSD and not liked them as much as either SUSE or RedHat. My personal reccommendation to you would be SUSE, since you are just starting out. Also, I would reccommend buying a book on Linux and it's predocessors etc...They are alot of help, and a good bedtime book (if your a computer nerd...:p)

ill see if i can use my mom's boyfriends 9.4gb hard drive just to fol around with...if he wants it back to windows i just reformat it back like if i was jsut putting back in windows right?

Commands all depend on how you install it. I know that when I install Linux, I always go for the 'GUI' or Graphics User Interface, which is all of the fancy stuff that you see, like the start button in Windows.

I'm sure that RakeDog can tell you all you could ever want to know. I can't, sorry. ;) I tend to primarily use Windows, that is untill I transfer everything over, then I'm going back to using RedHat and SUSE. Anyway, I know that alot of people are flaming me here, so I wanted to say, that the best way to decide if you want something, is to try it your self. Thats what you should do. TRY IT! :)

rakedog said:
No shit... Like I said, you don't know anything about linux, so don't talk about it.

Linux software is free, so you aren't going to be seeing it on shelves. You download it for free from FTP's, or it comes with the distro itself.

And you can emulate any program that you need to work with Linux that's made for Windows.

Only exception is games, and few games will run as good when emulated. Ironic though, game producers reccomend running gaming server on linux, not windows.

yup ur right...linux software is free and isn't on the shelves.....probably because it all sucks...

and no u can't emulate all programs you want...not even close

and games...wow...has anyone ever run a wondows game on linux smoothly and successfully before? if one did, it would be in history books... :D

money_man said:
ill see if i can use my mom's boyfriends 9.4gb hard drive just to fol around with...if he wants it back to windows i just reformat it back like if i was jsut putting back in windows right?

You couuld do that, but I somehow have a feeling that once you use Linux, you'll want to keep it. I would still reccomment getting one. Besides, we're only talking like $45, right? see link... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1104925

yup ur right...linux software is free and isn't on the shelves.....probably because it all sucks...

Shut up, because you don't know what your are talking about. Care to give me a few examples? Oh that's right, Mr. Know-It-All here doesn't know anything and can't back himself up.

and no u can't emulate all programs you want...not even close

Even heard of WINE? Probably not. Because if you did, you wouldn't be saying that.

and games...wow...has anyone ever run a wondows game on linux smoothly and successfully before? if one did, it would be in history books... :D

Sure, UT2004 has a linux version available. Like I said, this will all slowly change, and, even if it doesn't, emulation will make it all work.

Back
Top Bottom