Linux vs windows?

Think about driving a good car but you don't have the keys. You finally found the keys-but they're all rusty and you don't want to use them.

The car is linux. Superior to windows but at the same time the user is dependent on some windows programs and needs windows or a windows emulator.
(Some people can find alternatives to their software needs-some people can't)

Windows is crap compared to linux, I'm not going to start why now as I've already had this argument with LK and various other people.

Longhorn? is that a new version of windows? i have never heard of it before, i have XP home at the moment and have tried to install linux with a few problems, i have started a topic about the problems that i have had.

For running most of the windows programs there is an emulator called WINE which will run most windows programs like office, photoshop and so on. There is also an excellent alternative to Office called Open Office which is programed and designed by Sun Micro Systems, It is backwards compatible with office documents

put a link into the thread with your problems. Longhorn is the codename M$$ have given their newest version of windows which is due for public release in May 2006. There are Beta versions of it out at the moment but arn't woth playing with unless your bored and have a spare machine kicking around. It will also have 64 bit support as standard - which Linux has already got

it is under linux help, last time i looked it was 2 below this thread, my teacher at school is a computer geek and is trying to get everyone to swith over to linux, i just thought i would get opinions of everyone here as well.

dreamweaverdude said:
For running most of the windows programs there is an emulator called WINE which will run most windows programs like office, photoshop and so on. There is also an excellent alternative to Office called Open Office which is programed and designed by Sun Micro Systems, It is backwards compatible with office documents
Ah hahaha.... Open-Office... WinE... SUN! [He laughs] You are a funny guy Dreamweaverdude :D

From the philosophical point of view, GNU/Linux is better than Windows. From the practical point of view, GNU/Linux is again better than Windows.The only thing that Windows has against GNU/Linux is compatibility. No one can go against that.

iamroot said:
From the philosophical point of view, GNU/Linux is better than Windows. From the practical point of view, GNU/Linux is again better than Windows.The only thing that Windows has against GNU/Linux is compatibility. No one can go against that.
How is Linux better in a Philosophical way? Or indeed a Practical Way?

Back
Top Bottom