Networking 100+ Computers start up issue

pcmxkeith

BSOD
Ok, heres the issue. On each machine we have Windows ME edition and there is a major issue when starting up on all the systems at once it seems the LAN / WAN IP address dosent connect to the DHCP server... Our back bone is linux we have about 3 to 4 servers on the background. Umm we are using a T1 connection into the school and i was asked to help out the school on getting the connections and / or connection settings corrected. And yes i know windows ME is the scum of the bucket but thats what we could afford at the time. So umm anyhow heres the issue... I restart all 26 machines in one computer lab about 15 computers start up fine but the rest dont get ither a IP address or they dont connect to the DHCP / Network... which in this case our network is called / HPS which stands for Hancock Public Schools

Anyone have any ideas?

How many IP's does your school have? When they lease a line they lease a certain amount of IP's (usuauly a lot less the the computers running). What usualy happens is that when the computer starts up its pulls up a local IP address (such as 10.0.0.1) and when it needs to get on the internet it then pulls up an address from DHCP and its allowed outside the school network. That is the case in most schools anyways.

Umm ok.. lol umm well i believe we have about 160 ip addresses internally or maybemore than that but around there. We have the backbone of linux and windows and one mac system. The mac system is used to moderate or act as a administrator computer and we can run commands...

Im only 16 and im in 9th grade... umm im not in anyof the Cisco classes but i do trouble shoot for the school and provide assistance because our administrator is far too busy... so i guess you can say im the bocc of the network at this school. He takes care of the other 2 schools (elem and middle)

Another thing, is the whole school running off t1? How many computers do they have? Whats the speed of the network within the school (bandwidth, throuput, etc.) Its kind of hard to help you without seeing the topology in front of me, but thats a HUGE security risk if you do that.

Have you taken any networking classes? Personaly, i think you are in way over you head. Not trying to flame, but i take offense to you having your signature mentioning you beeing a network admin.

its a t1 shared with the middle school and the elementary school i would estimate about 100mbps a piece and about 350 - 500 computers total

again, not trying to flame you, but you obviously have no real knowledge of networking, you might want to seek the help of the administrator before you break something. And please take the network administrator signature off you signature, its very decieving.

Back
Top Bottom