what Harddrive

winks84

Solid State Member
what is the fastest and most reliable hard drive i can get is it the WD raptor 10000 74 and if it is are there any specifics i should be looking for when buying that might make a difference

Well, the Raptor is one of the higher performing drives on the market, but just because it is doesn't mean it is the best. SATA drives are the best, and I honestly think that Maxtor is the BEST company out there.

The raptor may be fast.. but really.. 74gigs? what do you do with that? I download over 100gigs a month. It all depends on what you are willing to spend and what to use it for. You want to look at size, speed, average seek time, etc. I've always preferred Western Digital myself but it's all personal preference/experiences. My WD's have outlasted my maxtors and seagates by a long shot. SATA is definately the way to go.

If your looking for performance you'll definitly see it in the Raptor. In the consumer level that's one of the best that you can get unless you look deep into your wallet to be able to buy a SCSI drive. The Raptors should be enough. And Unless your doing video editing or sometype of thing that requires a huge amount of space then get the Raptors

Also when looking at hard disks check the read and write speed. some may have big storage amounts but they have slow read/write speeds so be careful

Yes, the western digital Raptor 74 Gig turning at 10,000 rpm are probably the fastest most reliable, but they don't have volume.
You can buy a 250 Gig Maxtor or Western Digital Sata with 8 Meg cache 7,200 rpm and have ~ 15% less speed but ~ 300% more capacity for ~ 25% less in $ !
So, it is all in what you want as fast and reliable, because reliability will always depends on how you use your computer. I have persnally never burned or broken a hard disk because my PC is basically always ON. But if you start and stop often, your disk reliability will be a factor on the way you use your PC or hard disk.

Back
Top Bottom