USB this, USB that... TOO MUCH!

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
OK, USB is going a bit too far... I was thumbing though my latest tiger direct magazine, and I saw some video capture cards. They had a USB 1.1 with RCA in, USB 2.0 with RCA in and out, then, get this, USB 2 with RCA in/out AND DV. For one, why would anyone want to do video editing though USB? And 2, don't people know how much they are killing their performance like this?! Plus they could save like $130 with just a plain firewire card!

OK, but this was the real killer. I saw a little device to capture stuff from your stereo. 2 RCA connectors on one end, and USB on the other?! Um, what computer today does not have a sound card with line in? And Most even have them on the front now! *shakes head* it's just crazy, and stupid. This thing was $70! You could get a really nice headphone to RCA connector for less than $10

Now, I've seen some USB things that are neat...once I saw some speakers that got power and sound all from the USB port. No soundcard required. Now that was neat but give me a PCI card anyday!

If all your PCI slots were full, what would you use? Universal Serial Bus was first brought up by IBM in the dinosaure era of the computer but the idea was not kept.

You have plugs in your house to plug in any appliances!, don't you find it practical!!
Well a USB connection is basically the same and it is practical. You can connect a USB drive, transfer the data without removing any screws.....look at the good side. U Should B

I mean... I like USB for some things... My keyboard is USB now so I can easilly remove it. My mouse is too, but just because that's what the recever is...

I've tried to do video editing with USB devices, and not had much luck. Nothing compared to firewire. Lots of dropped frames and all... I've just never been a big fan of USB...

I like USB for the following: My Sony Clie connects into it, my camera pod connects to it allowing me to easily transfer photos more easily then putting memory into memory reader.. my mouse is USB. USB 2.0 is very efficient. I'm a huge fan of it.

Firewire is not too practical.

Heh just about every MOBO has a few USB 2.0 Ports on them so why not use them i mean i got about 7-8 on mine a 1-2 firewire ports!

USB rocks, what are you talking about? I saw at CES someone made a USB coffee cup warmer! talk about a practical tool!

lol, my motherboard supports 8 usb ports..4 on the back of the mobo, 2 on a module you put in one of the slots on the back and 2 in the front

Back
Top Bottom