Seagate

Windwaker222

In Runtime
What does everyone think of Seagate HDD's

I think I'm gonna get the 120GB SATA from Seagate but there is also WD and Maxtor..what one has better performance (cooler, silent)

Seagate: Quiet but slow.
Western Digital: Fast but is noisy and heats up.
Maxtor: A very good all-around performer.

And Maxtor has the only HDD with 16mb of cache. :D I have a Seagate and it's never failed me...works wonders. Just go with what you think suits your needs.

They're all very good and Newegg has good prices on OEM drives. If you fear hard drive getting hot, you can always add a hard drive cooler to it. I stuck 2 system fans in the front of the case so it's blowing in outside air right below the hard drive and across the bottom of the case where my video card is.

Seagates.. well you know my opinion on them.. they are purely awful drives. And if you want quiet.. get the Maxtor Quiet series. I've had several Seagates.. two of which burned up and were trashed.

3DMark score is 8031.

New PC is finished and smoking games like crazy. I have noticed load times between scene transitions in NFSU2 has been eliminated completely. Age of Empires 2 picked up speed a bit but it's running off of the CD, so it's still slow. I can see the DVD burner lights flicker like crazy.

I played Halo, Uru: Legend of Myst, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness with excellent results. Nice shadowing effects with settings maxed out. No slow down at all. Load times are reduced significantly making gameplay much faster.

Ran into some snag with the OS recognizing the SATA drive, but fixed that. Windows XP boot time is significantly faster. When you turn off the lights, the whole PC lights up blue. All my system fans have blue LED on them so it glows like a mother. That big ass heatsink on the Athlon 64 never gets hot and is running at one point at 27 degrees C, when idling. Peaked at 37 degrees when running NFSU2, but that's about as high as I have ever seen the CPU temp go. 6600GT core temp is around 49 degrees C after playing games for extended periods. I'm going to install an exhaust blower right underneath the video card. I'm happy with the temperature of the PC and overall, this is my best build. Very fast and efficient compared to my previous PCs.

Giancarlo said:
Seagates.. well you know my opinion on them.. they are purely awful drives. And if you want quiet.. get the Maxtor Quiet series. I've had several Seagates.. two of which burned up and were trashed.

Well I've never had a Maxtor so I can't say anything about them. But, my Seagate has never failed me...yet.

TRDCorolla1 said:
3DMark score is 8031.
That big ass heatsink on the Athlon 64 never gets hot and is running at one point at 27 degrees C, when idling. Peaked at 37 degrees when running NFSU2, but that's about as high as I have ever seen the CPU temp go. 6600GT core temp is around 49 degrees C after playing games for extended periods. I'm going to install an exhaust blower right underneath the video card. I'm happy with the temperature of the PC and overall, this is my best build. Very fast and efficient compared to my previous PCs.
what heatsink did u end up getting?

Back
Top Bottom