Server building

Wingeronside

Beta member
Hi,

FIRSTLY I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT I DIDN'T JUST GET UP THIS MORNINTG AND THINK, HEY I HAVE SOME MONEY LETS BUILD A SERVER!

I am about to buy a shop and convert it into a computer/ internet cafe, quite blindly I admit, as I only know about computers, a little code and windows!

What i want to do is build a server for intially around 6 pcs. the server needs to share internet connection, games, files and printers. (princippaly the the first point).

I know you can use any computer as a server, and know the specifications of hardware of a server. I do however have a few questions regarding the running of a server?

Does it need 6 PCI lan cards? or do i connect it to a hub?

Whats a hardware/internal router?

Do I need special software for internet sharing and/ or game sharing?

Do my usrs have to log on?

and finally, the biggy, how to I set this up?

The six pcs are just runnning a completely blank version of XP prof. the server isn't yet built!

Any advice, websites, books etc would be appreciated

Tim

(I apologise if this is long winded, has put anyone to sleep or is in the wrong forum)

You don't need 6 lan cards, it connects to a hub/switch.
You don't really have to have any special software etc and the users don't have to logon , that part is up to you.

So after I build the server, connect it to a hub/ broadband router and connect the other computers, what do I do then?

Run the networks wizard in windows oj all 7 machines, starting with the server?

Yeh you say that the server is the host and then you say the other pcs are guests or whatever it says

You can connect the 6 individual PCs and the server to a centralized switch that is unaccessible (in your office within the building perhaps) to customers. From the switch, there is one patch cable going out to a gateway/router for internet access.

You can create accounts on Windows Server and assign the PCs to that account with restricted access. Enable DHCP. Maybe you can create two servers (one for web and the other used locally for apps and printing). Maybe this is a little overkill for such a small network, but easily expandable.

Back
Top Bottom