Favorite programming language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was advised not to learn C before learning C++ because there's nothing in C you can't do with C++ and C teaches some bad habits if you then extend to C++.
C++ was my first language, and combined with Java, my only 2 languages as of yet. I'm still in the process of learning them both. Around A level revision/exams anyways lol.

I would recommend learning C before C++ to any new programmer.

From a pedagogical perspective there is practically no reason to learn C++ at all.

I'm not really interested in explaining it, but if you search the Web you can find plenty of discussions of why C++ is a really bad language for a new programmer to start with.

I am learning C++ from a book called, Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours. In the book is has a paragraph titled Should I Learn C First. The paragraph says " Stroustrup and most other C++ programmers agree: Not only is it unnecessary to learn C first, it is a bad idea because you can learn some bad habits that C++ prevents you from using." How come that is totally opposite what you guys are saying?

Bjarne Stroustrup designed the C++ language, so it's not surprising that he would say that.

Find some competent programmers who have expertise in both languages and ask which one a young programmer should learn first, and most will probably say "C".

Of course, "neither" is probably a better answer as there are better languages for a new programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom