Formatting A: disk to become bootable???

Windex1

In Runtime
I'm doing a homework assignment and the book isn't very descriptive about formatting a floppy disk making it bootable.

5. Format a floppy disk, making it bootable.

I'm using DOS command in the windows ME command prompt on my old computer since my laptop doesn't take floppy disks in the A: drive..

i tried using......

c:\>format a:

heh... i thought i'd give that a try and act noobish... doing that command rendered the disk useless and the drive didn't recognize it.. so i tried unformat a: and had no luck..

so i tried a new floppy...

a:\>format a: /s

command prompt told me that command wasn't availble in windows me....

so i'm thinking... wtf?! how do i format a disk making it bootable??

does anyone know what command(s) to use to format a disk making it bootable using dos commands in windows me command prompt?

Screw It I Figured It Out..

you can't use msdos commands to create a bootable disk in windows ME. if I am wrong on this, please tell me.

i used the windows startup disk option... i think that's what the book was referring to.. since it contains the basics of a command.com.

Not very quick on this forum.. however i do like to input about related topics at the bottom of the screen, that's nice...

however... this book does suck... and i've lost my a drive should've used a school computer..

When formating a floppy you use the command "format a:"
after that you have to use the sys command offhand i do not know where this is located on me but click start and use the search to find a file named sys.com
once you find this go into the dos prompt and change the directory to the one with sys.com and type this in "sys a:"
and you should be able to boot from that disk

Back
Top Bottom