HDD Recognition Problem

F250CrewCabFan

Beta member
I hope you guys are tolerant to old men. I just installed a 120GB Western Digital HDD (ATA100) in my PC behind a 40GB WD (ATA100). The BIOS recognizes it, the device manager recognizes it, but when I open MY COMPUTER, it's not there.

I'm thinking it may be because it's not formatted yet, but I can find no way to format it because WINXP doesn't see it. I tried booting from the WINXP CD, but that wanted to do a fresh install of XP.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. BTW, looks like a nice place to visit.

Yeah it's because it's not formatted. did the hdd come with a cd? usually they do. if it didn't get a program called partition magic, that will do the job for you. it will allow you to format the drive and partition it if you wish

Found the solution on the Western Digital website. Needed to go into diskmgmt.msc and right click on the HDD. All formatted and good now. Thanks for the replies. Boy is the pc faster now that all the HDDs are on one cable and the DVD/CDs are on the other. FAST!!!

LOL Good to hear that! Good luck with your computer! And make sure to come back if you have any future problems.

Back
Top Bottom