Installing debian???

PoorDoggie

Solid State Member
2 ops 2 HDDs 1 computer...

Hi. I want to install Debian Linux on my computer. I want to keep windows though.

I have 2 hard drives: 1 master (with windows installation) & 1 slave (formatted [Fat32]). I want to put Debian on the slave HDD. I want to be able to choose which OS I boot when I turn on the computer (dual boot I think it is called??)

1st: I am not sure which Debian cd image I am to download. I have an AMD Athlon processor if that helps! I know how to write the image to the cd but which one do I download? I tried i386 but that wouldn't work for some reason!

2nd: I have heard that Linux has an installation file, but I was wondering if someone could briefly tell me what I will have to do to install linux?

3rd: I would like linux on the slave drive, is that possible? Do I need to partition it and if I do, how?

Thanks in advance! :)
Thomas Clayson

I would strongly recommend not to use Debian on your first try of GNU/Linux. The installation process is hell to a new guy. Go with distros like Fedora Core 3 or Mandrake or Suse. Easy, graphical installations.

1) i386 should work on an AMD Athlon. What do you mean by "not work"? What happened when you started the installation?

2) You can install GNU/Linux the same way you install Windows. In fact, it might even be much easier and nicer too, depending on the distribution. Just change the boot order to boot from CD-ROM first, insert the install cd and follow the instructions. Very simple.

3) Installing on a clean seperate drive will make the install process much easier. All available hard disks will appear during the partitioning part of the installation process. Just select the one you want to install GNU/Linux on and partiton it. And don't worry about the dual-boot thing. All GNU/Linux distributions come with bootloaders, either GRUB or LILO or both, although GRUB is the mainstream one these days. Unlike the Windows bootloader, these will automatically detect all other OSes on all your hard drives and give you the choice to select one. Again I'll recommend not to use Debian. Try Fedora Core 3. It'sreally easy to use. Everything is graphical.

Argh!!! :(

I am on the SuSE ftp site and I don't have a clue what to do!! Can anyone please tell me which iso to download (no DVD writer btw!)

Thanks in advance! :)
Thomas

Back
Top Bottom