network connection problem

racincc84

Baseband Member
I am running windows xp on an AMD athlon 64 bit processor and gigabyte k8ns ultra motherboard with build in dual lan (nvidia chipset). Last night I encountered a very frustrating problem. My internet connection was working fine, then all of a sudden it stopped working. No matter what program i ran (AIM, mozilla, outlook express) i couldn't get on to the internet. I ran the ipconfig utility in the command prompt, and it showed that i was connected and was receiving a valid ip address from the network i'm on. I connected my friend's computer to the same jack that mine was connected to, and it worked fine. At this point i began to suspect a virus or spyware, so i scanned for both. Nothing was found. I used the command prompt to try to ping other computers, including myself but all i got was a message saying that whatever host i was trying to ping couldn't be found. I did an ip release and renew, and it took an extremely long time to get an ip address after the first few attempts at renewing it failed. I am convinced that is it something with my computer, but i have no idea. If someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. I'm also running norton internet security 2003. Thanks!

ok, i'll try that right away. Its NTFS. Is it a possibility that there is spyware on my system that i am unable to detect?

well, if there is a spyware or anything then ntfs will catch it, also i would DL wait you cant, well get sbybot search and destroy(fre) good fast easy, may halp, also check you router and modem.

I was able to solve the problem and believe it or not it was very simple and i can't believe i overlooked it. It turns out the network card had just locked up for some strange reason. I got frustrated and just shut the computer down for about 20 mins, and when i powered it back on everything was fine again! Thanks for the help though!

What happened is that your IP address got screwed up for some reason.
When you restarted your computer, you ISP gave you a new IP addess and everything came back to normal.
When those things happen, simply unplug your ISP connection to purge the line then unplug it. Your ISP will give your modem a new IP address and when you will start your browser for example, it will start with "detecting network settings", and then bingo, you'll online.

Back
Top Bottom