Help Please, I'm Desperate!

antigone414

Beta member
Hello,

I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, I'm desperate to fix this problem

I am running WinXP Pro, with service pack 2 and all windows updates to date. Last night I went to bed as usual and when I woke up and tried to use my fingerprint password reader (a neat novelty i've had for about two weeks) it said that it could not log me in to my admin account. So I logged in manually and saw that AVG Free (free virus software) was saying that it detected a virus in trillian.exe (a chat program I use). I could not clean the file, I could not quarantine the file, and I could not delete the file using my virus proggy. I closed the message and tried to open IE to do some research about this. It said "access denied. You do not have administrative priveledges". I went to the control panel. None of the items had pictures next to them and when I tried to double click on them, it said access denied again. I closed trillian and opened program files, and tried to delete the trillian folder manually. It said access denied. I went into the folder and deleted the files manually, and the only file that will not let me remove it is MSVCR71.dll. I am unable to open my email, IE, or any programs at all, though I can open my computer and browse my hard drive.

Has anyone heard of this or does anyone know which virus/trojan/etc I may have managed to pick up? I'm pretty computer savvy and this is the first time I've ever had a problem in the 8 years I've been online, and I'm at my wits end. I can't even open my cd burning software to do backups so I can format the computer, and I do need to back up some of my data first.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction please? Is it really possible that Trillian.exe could have become infected somehow, or was that a red herring? If i'm invisible to anyone who isn't on my contact list, does that mean that someone on my contact list was infected with something?

Thanks for reading this far!

I can't reformat....

I have some really important documents that I need to back up first, and I can't access them (permission denied).. this is the computer I use to run my business. :( That's why I'm so desperate to find a way to clean it up enough to get back into the machine and back them up somehow.

Im assuming as he cant run programs thats not an option. I can't think of any solution to that, other than format.. I mean, if you can't run programs, then that doesnt leave many options does it. :(

He said he can open programs - there's a bug in Trillian which is obviously affecting the Finger Print Reader. Either that or the Finger Print Reader and the bug are both not working for no connected reason.

Eitherway without Internet Explorer he'll have to get Antispyware someway - it will work out whether its the bug or the Reader.

why cant you jsut get a thumbnail drive and just select the files and right click and then click on send to usb mass storage drive. you dont have to open them. and tehre are always the external hard drives. you might to install those though. so jsut get some mass storatge device. do you think that'll work?

I would expect the "send to" to display access denied also, but everythings worth a shot.

got any antivirus? if yes boot up into safe mode and scan, that fixed my trojan problem easily and quickly, i got one today and got rid of it like 30 mins later.

Back
Top Bottom