Gigabyte GA-K8NS display nothing when boot

qkhang

Beta member
Hi,
I just built a brand new computer with AMD 64bit athlon 3000+ with gigabyte K8NS. I checked the fans, memory and everything but somehow when turn on the computer, it beeps 1 long beep and nothing display. no BIOS display at all. Does anyone have this problem and know how to solve it ?? Is the the motherboard or RAM?

Thank you,

Khang

If you get a signal from the motherboard and no BIOS, that usually indicates that the BIOS does not have any RAM to load too.
Also, did your motherboard come with a CD and manual. Even tough it is new, does not mean you do not have any preparation prior to startup. In some cases, by default, a motherboard may be set for dual channel, but the memory sticks are not placed in the right slot. You motherboard manual, must have a troubleshooting guide.

I wonder if the beep code mean anything. You probably have an Award BIOS.

http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

possible video card failure? Then again, there's no code for one long beep. If it was memory like zero said, that's an easy fix. How many memory sticks do you have? For dual channel, put one in DDR1 and the other in DDR2, otherwise just put one memory stick in DDR1. I have a Gigabyte motherboard similar to yours and hopefully have the same layout in mind.

Right you are TRD! That long beep is a memory failure load code. Take the RAM out, and put on in the slot nearest the processor, then skip a slot, then put the other in the third slot. That should fix it provided that your memory is still in good shape.

I only have 1 DDR PC 4000, 512 RAM. This board is not dual channel and the ram is not. I took the RAM out, it's still beeping. The computer still display BIOS if we dont have any slot RAM rite??? but I took it out, it's still the same, no display, and it's beeping.

Thanks,

Khang

Might be the motherboard that has the problem. Any chance you can test the memory on another compatible computer? If I feel the memory may be the cause, I'll stick it inside another computer. We're all running at the same speed so I'll just take the old one out and pop in the so-called defective one to see if the same problem is duplicated. If not, perhaps the memory module on the motherboard is damaged in someways?

Back
Top Bottom