Hard disk identity [label]

zero4zero

Daemon Poster
I started repairing a parent's computer and started by formatting the hard disk. The format failed after ~60% due to bad clusters. I then proceeded to do an Fdisk to delete the primary dos partition and so on. But as usual I was prompt for the hard disk label. Since it was not my computer and I didn't take note prior to start formatting, I could not go any further, and the formatting removed all traces.
I will be installing a new hard disk anyway because the old one needs to be replaced, but I am curious to know if someone knows a trick! to get the disk label if your stuck not having initially noted it. :confused:

It was formatted to FAT32 and since the computer had so many bugs, I initially proceeded to format the hard disk. But when the format stuck on bad clusters, I decided to delete the primary dos drive to start over and check how bad the hard disk was, but when Fdisk prompt me for the disk label, I didn't have it!
So, the question is what do you do retreive the hard disk label if you didn't take note of it. If you don't have the disk label, you cannot proceed to use Fdisk to manage you hard disk partitions, format etc.

Back
Top Bottom